Changing career to be an electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've always fancied working as an electrician and now have the opportunity to retrain. I've spoken to a guy at NICEIC and he says if I do the 5 day domestic installer course and 3 day 17th edition course with them I can register on their approved contractor scheme and certify my own work.

I've got a good understanding of electrics atm and know my way around a house, but even still it seems surprising I can start trading as a self employed domestic installer after 8 days of courses and around £1500.

Any other courses that would be helpful once I start trading?

Sponsored Links
I've spoken to a guy at NICEIC and he says if I do the 5 day domestic installer course and 3 day 17th edition course with them I can register on their approved contractor scheme and certify my own work.
All lies

it seems surprising I can start trading as a self employed domestic installer after 8 days of courses and around £1500.
That's because you can't.

Those courses were introduced for people who had been working in the industry for many years but for whatever reason didn't have any qualifications, and needed a qualification to register on a competent persons scheme.

They are totally unsuitable for those new to electrical work, and will be a complete waste of money and time.

How come you have to pay to do a course and then have to pay again to have the information updated to the current regs?

How come you have to pay to do a course and then have to pay again to have the information updated to the current regs?
Excellent point. Any course should obviously teach on the basis of current regulations. The only people who might need to do a "17th Edition Course" are those who were trained in relation to some earlier regs.

In any event, as has been suggested, the notion that one can create a competent (or safe) electrician 'from scratch' in 5 days, 8 days or even 8 weeks is pretty farcical.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
the 5 day domestic installer course and 3 day 17th edition course
The former does not include the latter, nor does it include study of earlier editions of the Wiring Regulations.
It surely isn't (or shouldn't be!) possible to teach someone how to be a 'domestic installer' without reference to (and teaching of) the requirements of the (current) Wiring Regulations.

Kind Regards, John.

5WW's

My first ever post btw

I was taught old school and i mean old school

10 years minimum it was then before you could rub shoulders with the best of them

Sending you to Mcdonalds - the fryers have gone off, massive queue of customers, they are losing a grand an hour, the manager/staff all giving you daggers - ha ha im loving it - living the dream

And that was while you was still learning!! Right it at the deep end

Tell you what though you was a belter spark at the end of those 10 years of 'learning'

Everything, every single last aspect of sparking was thrown at you and woe betide you if you messed up!

the 5 day domestic installer course and 3 day 17th edition course
The former does not include the latter, nor does it include study of earlier editions of the Wiring Regulations.
It surely isn't (or shouldn't be!) possible to teach someone how to be a 'domestic installer' without reference to (and teaching of) the requirements of the (current) Wiring Regulations.
Do you mean teach them what they need to know in order to become competent at domestic installation work, or teach them what they need to know in order to gain the EAL Level 2 Certificate for Domestic Electrical Installers?

Do you mean teach them what they need to know in order to become competent at domestic installation work, or teach them what they need to know in order to gain the EAL Level 2 Certificate for Domestic Electrical Installers?
Obviously the former. If the latter doesn't amount to the same, then it's clearly useless and meaningless.

Even in practical terms, I can't really see how one can teach hardly anything useful without reference to regs. One would not be able to teach anything useful about circuit design, cable sizes, protective devices, cable installation methods, cable routing, bonding requirements, special locations etc. etc. etc. without reference to regulations. One could teach how to strip and terminate cables, but not a lot more :)

Kind Regards,John

If the latter doesn't amount to the same, then it's clearly useless and meaningless.
That'll be the one.

Even in practical terms, I can't really see how one can teach hardly anything useful without reference to regs. One would not be able to teach anything useful about circuit design,[/quote]
The EAL DI course doesn't.

cable sizes,
Ditto.

protective devices, cable installation methods, cable routing, bonding requirements, special locations etc. etc. etc. without reference to regulations.
Ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto.

One could teach how to strip and terminate cables, but not a lot more :)
That'll be the one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back