Getting Started

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone! I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice on how to get started with a career as an electrician.

I've fancied this as a career for years now but never really took it up as i have no idea how to go about it.

I'm aware that i'm going to need qualifications and of course practical experience but as to what qualifications i have no idea.

If anyone knows what sort of course i should be looking at to get started as a domestic electrician i'd be grateful for the recommendations!

Carl

Sponsored Links
I've fancied this as a career for years now but never really took it up as i have no idea how to go about it.
That doesn't sound as if you're highly motivated... :confused:

If anyone knows what sort of course i should be looking at to get started as a domestic electrician i'd be grateful for the recommendations!
C&G 2330 and 2382, then a period of time (years) as an apprentice/assistant to someone experienced to acquire and develop practical skills and knowledge, and at some point C&G 2391.

http://www.cityandguilds.com/search-results.html?sType=q&subject_or_code=electrician

its not that im not highly motivated, i just wanted to finish my education before i got stuck in to a proper career, thats the only reason its taken so long.

But thanks for the advice mate. much appreciated!

Go to the Search facility at the top of this page.

Type in the words "becoming electrician"

Read the results - a lot of people have asked this question!

Best to read the more recent ones first, some of the earlier bitys of advice will now be out of date.

Also, if you are planning to be a domestic electrician, you will need to achieve the qualifications and level of competence to join one of the schemes that allows you to install, certify and notify your own work.

There are a number of organistaions that let you do this. Check out their membership requirements.
There is a list at the bottom of this page http://www.competentperson.co.uk/

Sponsored Links
Also, if you are planning to be a domestic electrician, you will need to achieve the qualifications and level of competence to join one of the schemes that allows you to install, certify and notify your own work.
2330, 2382 & 2391.

In spite of what the schemes may say in their publicity they are so desperate for members that they will let you in without the 2382 as long as you commit to getting it within a time period. You'll have to prove your competence with a practical assessment and have the EAL Part P exam but you can get in without the 2382.

Whether you should be allowed in without the most basic and easiest of electrical exams is another matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back