Training / Qualifications

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm already fairly knowledgable and competent at electrical work, regulations, guidelines, diversity etc. though have no official qualifications therefore no longer help others out with jobs since the introduction of Part P.

I was looking at reading up properly on the regulations and industry practices, or potentially obtaining some proper training / qualifications with a view to a possible change of career path.

Looking for advice in two areas:

1) Which books are worthwhile reading from a personal perspective to help further my knowledge

2) What qualifications are required in order to perform domestic electrical work, i.e. installations, repairs, the ability to self-certificate etc? Are these available only as official courses or also as self-study? What books would I need as a minimum to start studying?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before, I had a quick look around and couldn't find anything.

Sponsored Links
Without knowing what sort of level you are already at it is difficult to suggest any books. You might be better having a word with your local college to see what courses they have on offer.
The qualifications you require to join a scheme differ between the schemes. For example have a look at the NICEIC Domestic Installer website - it should tell you what you need to join.

The absolute minimum qualifications you should get are:

EAL VRQ - Part P
C&G 2382 - 17th edition wiring regulations
C&G 2392 - Inspection and testing

A C&G 2391 & C&G 2330 would be better but they cover a lot of areas domestic electricians don't necessarily need, although that's not a bad thing.

They are obtainable as distant learning/self study but I can't help but think that's not the best way to learn what is largely a practical skill, you may have different views.
You would still have to attend a training centre for assessments of course.

Some books:

Practical guide to inspection, testing and certification - Christopher Kitcher
Electric Wiring: Domestic - Brian Scaddan
On Site Guide BS7671:2008
Electricians guide to the building regulations
IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition

You will have to get the last 3 if you want to be anywhere near competent and they are necessities on a lot of courses.

Sponsored Links
The 2330 city & guilds course are run in conjunction with the Trevor Linsley books Basic Electrical Installation Work: Level 2 City & Guilds 2330 Technical Certificate (Paperback) Level 2 to start with then 3 will be required
So that is a must have if you intend to take this route.
Plus On Site Guide, BS7671:2008 and GN3 also for help in the understanding of calculations this series of books are great
Electrical Installation Calculations Volume 1: v. 1 (Paperback)
by A.J. Watkins (Author), Christopher James Kitcher (Author)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back