Formal training/qualifications

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, firstly please forgive my naivety in asking for some of this advice and the long worded post. I'm investigating the routes available for training and assessment for domestic installation qualifications. It appears one can do a 2 week course or spend several years gaining various quals. I am no spring chicken (heading towards 50) and the (traditional?) route of apprenticeship/college for a number of years is not an option. I am not so naive to think that you can become qualified in a matter of weeks though - and my recent post re garage wiring obviously shows my somewhat lack of knowledge which I have no problem in admitting. Are there industry respected distance learning type courses whereby I could gain the necessary qualifications and experience to do purely domestic work? I am very clear in how far I would like to go and it absolutely would not extend beyond a domestic setting. My reason for pursuing this would be to supplement my current job (oops, no pun intended), when work tails off and I see myself as a sort of jobbing type chap - and I fully appreciate that full and complete quals would needed to do small and minor jobs. I have a little experience of working with an electrician (6 months only but full-on re-wiring of properties for the whole time), am trying to devour (?) the Green regs book and Part P stuff (and have to admit, getting a big headache), would welcome suggestions for reading material that would at least be a start, which qualification would be a good and proper one to pursue and what to do next. I have an engineering background (not sure if that's relevant) and am not afraid of the maths side of things that this would all entail. Thanks for reading on this rainy Sunday afternoon.

Sponsored Links
I have, long time ago though, Mechanical & Production Engineering, how valid that is I don't know other than at least I have studied this kind of thing before

i've just gained the qualifications required to become an electrician. i did this via day release for the first 2 years doing the 2330 certificates (lvl 1 & 2). i then completed a NVQ lvl 3 which took another year and as part of the NVQ 3 i had to complete an AM2 competency exam. for the last year you will need to be working as an electrician to gain the evidence required. i was lucky enough for my work to give me a placement with the electrical department throughout my training and felt that this really helped me gain competency in the work i am now carrying out. after all its the competency that you need to have. just because you gain the correct qualifications does not mean that you are or are not competent it just means that you knew enough to pass the course.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for those details - where abouts did you do your studying? - notice you're in the wilds of Cumbria too. And do you happen to know whether those quals are able to be done in less time - in a block of time rather than 1 day a week? Cheers

I think most of the colleges up here offer electrical training, Kendal, Barrow, Distington and Carlisle to name some.

i've just gained the qualifications required to become an electrician. i did this via day release for the first 2 years doing the 2330 certificates (lvl 1 & 2). i then completed a NVQ lvl 3 which took another year and as part of the NVQ 3 i had to complete an AM2 competency exam. for the last year you will need to be working as an electrician to gain the evidence required. i was lucky enough for my work to give me a placement with the electrical department throughout my training and felt that this really helped me gain competency in the work i am now carrying out. after all its the competency that you need to have. just because you gain the correct qualifications does not mean that you are or are not competent it just means that you knew enough to pass the course.

Did your company have you working full time as an trainee electrician whilst undertaking your studies?

I say this because I notice you have commented in the past that you were originally a painter and decorator.

So from reading your post you would class yourself as a competent electrician?

I did my course through Carlisle college but i am unaware of a shorter course, doesn't mean there isn't one just not what i was aware of.

RMS
my company had me working as a trainee electrician for the 3 years. it was hard going but i got there in the end. i started off in decorating and did this for many years but decided i needed a change. since my qualifications came through i have been working as a domestic electrician at my company full time. i would class myself as competent at what i do. the good thing is that if i get stuck i can ring my qualifying supervisor for advice and guidance as i am and will carry on learning all through my career hence my appearance on this forum.

hope this answers your questions. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back