advice please - Domestic Installer training

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
I have been looking at the niceic website and I am thinking of doing the domestic installer qualification has anyone done this course and can tell me exactly what it involves what do they want on the assessment day?
I have had many years of experience but have no formal qualifications mostly working alongside my father (sparks all his life) but my experience in testing is limited it looks like you need to have a c&g qualification to do the course on testing so that’s a no go.
The niceic website also says to get on there competent persons scheme and self certify your work you need to have been working for at least 12 months in this area, as I am returning to this work after a break what would be the best and quickest way to do this
Any advice please

Sponsored Links
Hi J
It seems that these courses vary quite a lot. I did the Rotherham scheme and was pleased, but many posters seem very dis-satisfied with the teaching and content. Certainly some of the questions asked on this forum by some who state that they had obtained a DIQ, do make one realise that there must be a big difference between courses. Could others with a DIQ put in a reply giving their views of their course and where it was to help you (and others) choose the best?
HTH
V

did mine last week and it was very good,however i did spend 2 months with my head in the on-site guide and others that didnt struggled!

however not enough time was spent on testing.

it was to pricey,should be about 6-7 hundrend

But overall you gota do to get into NIC. I have my pre-assessment today.

2391 would be better for you i think but its not enough to get in NIC.

Cheers

Thanks for your reply’s
I have had a look at the niceic website the 2391 course says

“This scheme is aimed at those with practical experience of inspection and testing of LV electrical installations, who require to become certificated possibly for NICEIC purposes. It is not suitable for beginners”

As the practical testing is the area I have difficulty with I don’t think this will be the thing I need,
I was thinking of booking my course though the niceic so I would hope that they would give me good value (or do they just farm the courses out?
I live on the Kent coast I would be interested to know if anyone from this area has also done this course I have said I have no problem with the practical side of things just need to study the up to date requirements and I do need help with the testing.
If I get my test equipment 1st is there a good simple book to take me through the required testing as with some practice I might have a better understanding of what’s required.
Thanks to everyone for your advice

Sponsored Links
Inspection/Testing is the most important thing you'll need to know before you'll be accepted by the Part-P scheme operators.

I'd get a course sorted before looking for test equipment.

You could always get the kit anyway and play about with it before your course to get yourself familiar.

Johnad seems like a newbie and as such getting a 16th edition test kit would be probably blow his mind (and possibly injure him).

Johnad, the Domestic Installer Qualification (DISQ) is just one of the minimum qualifications required for membership of a self-certification scheme. It is a nationally accredited, but rather new, qualification. It is for those who have experience in working with electrical installations, but no formal qualifications. It does not claim to make you an electrician, nor does it allow you to self-certify your work as compliant with Building Regulations. It does, however, give you a starting point from which you can develop greater competence.

Membership of a scheme (and the ability to self-certify) depends on you passing a formal, on-site assessment at a later date

2391 is the City & Guilds qualification in Inspection, Testing & Certification and is aimed at those who are already qualified and up to date with current regulations. It has a high failure rate, even amongst experienced and qualified electricians. You're not ready for it.

i had the NIC man come round today which im in for the domestic installer scheme only to find out that they sent the wrong paperwork and he thought he was asseing me for the fully approved contracter.....Im not happy :evil:

so now i have to go thrrough it all over again and he said there was a diffrence in price between the to schemes and ive paid to much and said "sorry about this but i dont think we can get you a re-fund even tho we sent you the wrong paperwork!"

Not happy and will be trying to get a full refund to go with elecsa!

My spark had the same problem where he was going for fully approved and they sent paperwork for the domestic installer.

So hacked off you wouldnt beleive it! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Anyone else had simular problems with them?

Thanks for your reply DINGBAT
Johnad, the Domestic Installer Qualification (DISQ) is just one of the minimum qualifications required for membership of a self-certification scheme. It is a nationally accredited, but rather new, qualification. It is for those who have experience in working with electrical installations, but no formal qualifications. It does not claim to make you an electrician, nor does it allow you to self-certify your work as compliant with Building Regulations. It does, however, give you a starting point from which you can develop greater competence.
If you look at my original post I did say I have plenty of experience but no formal qualification
I also said the 2391 qualification was not for me
I haven’t worked in this area for a few years so a bit rusty I admit, but I have done quite a few rewires, new circuits outside power commercial three phase work new consumer units etc etc etc my father was with the LEB for quite a few years before going it alone so I had the best teacher you can get, but unfortunately he did all the testing and what he did show me I have almost forgotten so (experience but no formal qualification)
and i do understand about the on site assesment

Thanks for your input
Newspark-paul

Johnad seems like a newbie and as such getting a 16th edition test kit would be probably blow his mind (and possibly injure him).

As I keep saying experience (practical)
Looking to get a better knowledge of the testing procedures
I am not a complete novice I have done a little insulation resistance testing but not much more
Give me a bit of credit (blow my mind) I don’t think so,

I thought this was a requirement of most Part P scheme providers.

Also Inspection & Testing is the most important part of electrical work AFAIAC.

johnad said:
Thanks for your input
Newspark-paul

As I keep saying experience (practical)
Looking to get a better knowledge of the testing procedures
I am not a complete novice I have done a little insulation resistance testing but not much more
Give me a bit of credit (blow my mind) I don’t think so,

You'll need to know safe isolation.
Will any of the settings on the tester or the results you get mean anything?
This is where you are showing inexperience. I only said I'd get on a testing course before getting a tester (they are quite expensive).

johnad said:
Thanks for your reply DINGBAT
If you look at my original post I did say I have plenty of experience but no formal qualificatioL
...which is exactly why I think this is the qualification you need.

You're in Kent. Courses run in Dartford every couple of months.

DESL said:

I thought this was a requirement of most Part P scheme providers.

Not so. Only NAPIT ask for it, but their agenda goes beyond Part P self-certification.

Also Inspection & Testing is the most important part of electrical work AFAIAC.

The most important part is doing a professional job and meeting the regulation requirements, of which testing and certification is an integral part.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back