Qualification..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys....I am an industrial sparky of nearly forty years.....seen a lot of changes etc....also seen what a 500 hp motor running can do when one phase of its supply is removed under load !! not me I hasten to add....

Anyway....a question for all you gurus out there....what qualification do I need to obtain if I wish to install on domestic and sign off test certs for domestic installations ?.........I am learning about Part P from your excellent forum...

My quals are City & Guilds A & B Certs (Installation & Electrical Eng ) and ONC.....so....do I have to go back to College or enrol on a Course ?....advice greatly appreciated... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Basically all domestic electrical work comes under the building regulations now, which means it all has to comply with regulation P1, which basically says something about being designed and constructed to prevent fire and shock (not the exact wording, but something like), generally the accepted way is to comply with BS7671 (although no statute precludes other methods of complying, and BS7671 remains as ever non statuary)

In addition, some work has to be notified to building control, basically anything involving extra points in kitchens, bathrooms or gardens, extra circuits, or replacement boards is notifiable, there are two ways of going about this, you may notify the LABC directly (in advance of the work) in much the same was as if you were a builder and wanted to knock walls about, however building controls often lack resources and experience to handle electrical notifications and it can be a confusing thing when the building control officier doesn't know what the law says, or even what BS7671 says..., add in the cost of 100-200 a time, and it soon becomes expensive, the other way is a sheme, if you are enrolled in one of these, they assess your work and if happy, you can go out do your work and send a short card to the scheme at the cost of a fiver or less and they'll pass it onto building control for you, and its job done. There are five full schemes, NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA, BSI and BRE (ECA), most require a recentish 2381 qual, and NAPIT also require 2391, both however would be worthwhile doing, the 2381 is easy enough (multiple choice), a few past papers and a regs book and you can teach yourself basically!

All the schemes require you to work to BS7671 (which includes testing and issuing EIC and MW certificates!), so you'll be expected to have such things as BS7671, OSG, and test kit, etc (probably copies of GS38 and EAWR as well), the cost is about £400 a year and they come and inspect some of your jobs, ask you questions, get you to test in front of the inspector, etc

16th edition wiring regulaitons (C&G 2381) is a must then you just need to sign up with a complient scheme such as those offered by NICEIC or NAPIT ect. Part of the approval provess involves them coming to inspect 2 pieces of your work in domestic premisis. If all ok you get your Domestic Installer Badge and thus your part P badge

Im faily sure you can do one of their 5 day domestic installer cources as an alternative route but I still belive you need the 16th edition or at least prove you have passed it a few months down the line.

EDIT: too slow :cry:

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys...glad I asked....given me a lot to think about....and look into....regards to all.... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back