Thinking of a career change? Electrician...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’ve been thinking for a while about changing my career, working for myself and ultimately being my own boss is a big appeal, but I’ve also always had a keen interest in electrics/electronics.

My occupation is currently civil engineering, I’ve done pretty well, I’m 25 and have a good management/supervisor position within a large contracting company earning reasonable money. But I feel it’s just not me, I’ve basically done myself out of the work I enjoyed, getting my hands dirty, all I do now is manage people.

My question is, what is the best way to become qualified, and more importantly gain the necessary experience to go self-employed?

My current thoughts are to go for a fast track course (I know what you’re thinking…) and tackle a few small jobs at weekends and holidays (simple work like spuring off sockets and wiring outside lights) until I’ve got enough experience to maybe bite the bullet and go full time?

I’m too old to become an apprentice, and need a steady income to pay the mortgage and look after my family so unfortunately that’s not an option!

Anyone done similar? Or got any advice?

Sponsored Links
Don't go fast track!
Do a part-time evening course, two evenings a week. This will allow you learn without effecting your day time job/income
It will take you a little longer, but will learn the fundamental principles a lot better. A fast track course will not allow you to take all the information in that you will need. You may pass the course/examinations but I doubt very much that you will really get to know much and be any good or confident, as it is simply too much to take in over such a short period of time.
If you could get a little work part-time on weekends with an electrician that will go a long way to helping you out with much needed hands one experience.
Were in Yorkshire are you based? If you don't mind me asking?

And be prepared for a big drop in income while you are learning - even if you do all the qualifications you'll still need some one to teach you the practical side (they can't do this in college)

Still if you're on good money now, then you can save a 'cushion' to help you

Good luck

Sponsored Links
I agree with PBoD - fast track is not a good idea.

Also now is not the best of times to be giving up a good job, even if it's not fully satisfying. Given your industry I'm sure you're aware of the ever-expanding pool of qualified and experienced electricians looking to enter the field you want to. But who knows - if you hang on in there, and work towards qualifications you might find your employer offers you a cash incentive to leave, if you know what I mean.

Can you branch out into other things within the company? Project Management? You might be able to get your boots dirty, even if not your hands. If you can get project management qualifications, electrical ones, then those along with management experience and civil engineering experience could make you quite a desirable person in a few years - maybe not your own boss, but a wider-ranging more hands-on role in a smaller company.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back