Career change....??? You're putting me off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been thinking of a career change for a while now, always done bits and pieces for friends - worked part-time with a family friend for 3 years before ill health got him.
Managed to get my 16th (Jan '06) and thinking of Part P etc but all the posts I'm reading are putting me right off!

Anyone need a 35 year old "mate"/ apprentice??

Seriously, is it worth the hassle?

Sponsored Links
Don't expect big bucks for a along while.You need to learn, do , learn some more, do some more, get leather hands, read books, understand etc etc.
The job is very enjoyable to me but I am one of the lucky ones - I work in a factory who pay my wages.Self employment is enjoyable too, but is hard graft physically and mentally.Like most jobs there are days when you love it and days when it's a drag.
As you can see from some of the lads on here it's more a way of life than a job!!!!!!!!!!!

It all depends on what your current career is & what you are hoping to achieve by the change. Doing it & enjoying it on a part time basis is very different to the daily grind, but that applies to almost every job there is.If you try it & don't enjoy it you can always move on to something else as long as you can afford to invest the time & effort needed to become experienced.

Sponsored Links
I had a nervous breakdown at 21 and found myself getting too stressed out, i went self employed so that i could have a few days off a week to relax.
I'm 24 and have been self employed 3.5 years. I love my work, i mostly do repairs, extra sockets, lights etc. I have only just bought a van. I have a mortgage and its a real struggle, especially when you are restricted by part P, i cant afford it yet and am having to be really careful about what i do. I get up in the morning, look in my diary, and go to work happy. I dont have annoying bosses down my neck. I find that i dont take breaks because time flies when you're enjoying yourself, and it makes every penny you earn more rewarding.

no sick pay, no holiday pay, lots of paperwork,no regular jobs, people wanting to know when you are coming.

but i like the idea, its just not for me (yet)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back