£320 to move one twin socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of a friend has just been quoted £320 to resite one twin socket from one side of his lounge to the opersit wall, The electrician was asked if the quote included a test certificate, but the reply was "You have to organise that yourself" (putting Part P requirements in to the customers lap) Most people I know would rather pay the normal tradesmans prices than the "Part P" Inflated prices, lots of cowboys are now charging double their normal "rip off"prices since "Part P" came into force,
I think this country has completely lost it :eek:
Especially when "Part P" allows anyone to change a socket without testing & inspection by "Certified" persons,
I went to a job in an electrical wholesalers, I had to fit skirting trunking all around a managers board room, which included replacing an existing ring final circuit (which had only been installed two months previously) One of the sockets had been wired wrongly (Phase to Earth Terminal) making the socket mounting screws Live) and there was no certification,
I also worked for an "ECA" registered contractor who told me it was ok to run multiple sockets from a non fused spur fed from a 32a ring circuit?
What is going on in the world? Have I Been asleep for 52 years?

Sponsored Links
I didn't think re-siting a socket in a lounge was notifiable under part p anyway?

paulh53 said:
A friend of a friend has just been quoted £320 to resite one twin socket from one side of his lounge to the opersit wall

How big is the room?, how much furniture needs moving?, what are the restrictions on times worked?, what obstacles are in the way? what is opersit?

paulh53 said:
The electrician was asked if the quote included a test certificate

what type of certificate? EIC or Minor Works?

paulh53 said:
but the reply was "You have to organise that yourself" (putting Part P requirements in to the customers lap)

What has Part P got to do with this scenario?

paulh53 said:
Most people I know would rather pay the normal tradesmans prices than the "Part P" Inflated prices,

It is up to the individual whether they want to break the law or not

paulh53 said:
lots of cowboys are now charging double their normal "rip off"prices since "Part P" came into force,

Report them to LABC if you know who they are. Do you know many?

paulh53 said:
I think this country has completely lost it :eek: ,

I totally agree

paulh53 said:
Especially when "Part P" allows anyone to change a socket without testing & inspection by "Certified" persons,

All work to BS7671 requires testing. Do not fully understand what you are saying?

paulh53 said:
I went to a job in an electrical wholesalers, I had to fit skirting trunking all around a managers board room, which included replacing an existing ring final circuit (which had only been installed two months previously)

Why did it need replacing so soon?

paulh53 said:
One of the sockets had been wired wrongly (Phase to Earth Terminal) making the socket mounting screws Live) and there was no certification)

How was that discovered?

paulh53 said:
I also worked for an "ECA" registered contractor who told me it was ok to run multiple sockets from a non fused spur fed from a 32a ring circuit?)

And did you tell them otherwise?

paulh53 said:
What is going on in the world? Have I Been asleep for 52 years?

You tell us.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back