Implications of Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of my career change I am planning to move back to Brighton in the new year. I will be staying with a friend of the family until I get everything sorted, and as part of the deal I have agreed to sort out her electrics for her. At the moment they are in a god-awful state, the extent of which I will only be able to convey to you when I have moved in and can take some pictures. Suffice to say we're talking bakelite toggle switches and not an earth to be seen.

My question is this. I have never performed a rewire in my life, but I have been posting here long enough to trust the advice and opinions offered. I will do everything step-by-step, posting pictures at every stage and taking all advice offered. I am confident that with the help of certain veterans (yes that's you, ban, breezer, and securespark), the whole job will be up to scratch.

But where does this leave me in terms of part P? The job won't be finished until well after it comes into force, but having said that, the homeowner has no intention of selling up. So who's to know who did the rewire, and when it was done? I want to help, but don't want to end up in legal poo.....

Sponsored Links
well the deal is already agreed so that gives you up to march

and even after that building control will probabllly be rushed off thier feet i can't see any significant enforcement to start with (maybe there never will be)

if and when they sell they can just get a pir done and tell the sparky that previous documentation is not availible

also i have heared another delay to part P meionted though i haven't heared anything concrete

no, he's meaning the work is allready under way at a guess??

Sponsored Links
Try and get old colours - you may have to sink to using a shed.

Buy MK accessories off eBay - always loads around, the ones I've bought have been sound, and if there are any date codes, they'll be old ones.

And if you want to be really sneaky, keep your eyes peeled for local electrical firms with websites, download their logo and print it on a sticky label which you slap on the CU....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back