Part P Certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at having the lighting system rewired as there is no earth, everything else looks good, the fuse board is 10 years old but all ok.

I have had an electrician out to quote for the work, he said to get the Part P certificates a new fuse board would be required, is that correct?

Also who says it has passed?

Sponsored Links
I very much doubt it.
If you have all plastic fittings on the lighting circuit, it is not really a problem.

There is no such thing as a Part P Certificate.
Even if there was, replacing the lighting cable would not require one.
Electrical certificates should be issued for all work.

If he is thinking that new concealed cables would require RCD protection then this could easily be done without a new consumer unit.
Though if yours is ten years old that would probably not apply.

Can you post a picture of the CU with the lid open? Just copy and paste or drag into the reply box.

I am looking at having the lighting system rewired as there is no earth, everything else looks good, the fuse board is 10 years old but all ok.
likely to have RCD protection for the lighting circuit then or provision to install it
I have had an electrician out to quote for the work, he said to get the Part P certificates a new fuse board would be required, is that correct?
Not an electrician then, as that is total TOSH!
Also who says it has passed?
Very likely person installing, inspecting and testing the circuit!

I very much doubt it.
If you have all plastic fittings on the lighting circuit, it is not really a problem.

There is no such thing as a Part P Certificate.
Even if there was, replacing the lighting cable would not require one.
Electrical certificates should be issued for all work.

If he is thinking that new concealed cables would require RCD protection then this could easily be done without a new consumer unit.
Though if yours is ten years old that would probably not apply.

Can you post a picture of the CU with the lid open? Just copy and paste or drag into the reply box.

This is the fuse board I have...

Attachments

• IMG_1547.JPG
    IMG_1547.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 126
Sponsored Links
Okay, lighting circuit not protected by RCD. But that can be sorted out with the board, with a couple RCBOs.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. So no new board required.

Once the work is completed I should get a Electrical Installation Certificate then? Anything else?

Does the Part P stuff come into the equation? (Still no idea what it means to me a customer other than a legislation to keep me safe.. I think)

Yes, an EIC.

Not notifiable work so no one else is involved.

(Still no idea what it means to me a customer other than a legislation to keep me safe.. I think)
That was apparently the initial intention - to control ancillary trades who did electrical work, but it has been so watered down now (except in Wales) that only actual electricians have to register - apart from plumbers fitting new electric showers.

Oh and it raises a lot of money for the organising schemes.

Should all electricians be Part P registered then? How would I know? Is this the same as NICEIC?

It's all so confusing!

Thanks guys. So no new board required.
New board not required for what you require, just upgrades on the devices protecting the lighting circuits, from MCBs to RCBOs.

Once the work is completed I should get a Electrical Installation Certificate then? Anything else?
You should get an EIC yes, it is not really a new circuit, so notification can be omitted but if you wanted to or the electrician wanted then providing the registered on a CPS then that would only be less than a fiver to notify.

Does the Part P stuff come into the equation? (Still no idea what it means to me a customer other than a legislation to keep me safe.. I think)

It comes into the equation, as all domestic electrical work, must comply to part p (it is a building regulation).
But no such thing as a part p cert, just compliance. So basically if the work is done safely, it complies.

There is link to it in WIKI //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:part-P

Last edited:
No.

It's not "Part P" registered.

We can get registered for "Self-Certification" - which actually means "Self-Notification" - so we don't have to involve the Building Control.
This has absolutely nothing to do with issuing certificates.

There are so few notifiable jobs now it is a farce - but costs the same.

Ok, many thanks for all your help. Sounds just like more pointless admin, legislation and stuff to know and read.

Should all electricians be Part P registered then? How would I know? Is this the same as NICEIC?
There are a number of CPSs (competent persons scheme providers) NICEIC is one of them.
Their engineers are qualified and registered to do work in domestic dwellings and can self notify the work.
They require to have certain qualification, knowledge, skill and a library of publications, plus insurances.
They require to have a knowledge of part p and the approved document, they do not need a qualification in part p (no one does!)
If you require one of these engineers, you can search for them on the governments website.
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back