I’m a bit confused about part p

ok, so tell me what's wrong with that then?

by "everything metal" i'm obviously not thinking about things like toilet brush holders, or towel bars etc.. just rads, pipes, bath, etc..

Sponsored Links
you need to bond every metal service as it enters the bathroom (or just outside, e.g. in an adjacent airing cupboard). Once you have done that, they can't pick up a voltage inside the bathroom, because you have already bonded them to the CPC of every circuit that enters the bathroom (lights, shaver socket, wall heater, immersion heater, shower pump, etc).

So, once you have bonded e.g. the cold water pipe where it enters the bathroom there is no need to bond it again and again at the basin tap, bath tap, bidet tap, shower mixer and WC cistern.

Once you have done that, all the pipes and taps and radiators will be at the same potential inside the bathroom (even in the event of an electrical fault). So you have made the bathroom into its own equipotential zone regardless of anything that might happen inside the bathroom, or outside.

and yet the on site guide and amicus guide to good electrical practice quite clearly show the taps, bath and waste (if metal ) bonded at the bath, then to the shower above it, and to the pipe in the shower...

shaver point near the sink is bonded to the pipes behind the sink, which are bonded to each other and the waste ( if metal )...

radiant heater bonded to the pipes, rad bonded to the pipes..

Sponsored Links
If they are extraneous conductive parts and cpcs of circuits supplying class 1 or class 2 equipment within the zones then it is correct to supplementary equipontential bond them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back