Bonding confusion

jcp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not an electrician, but a competent DIY enthusiast – all things on the house and cars! I am sorry for the length of this post, but I have found a lot of confusion on bonding. I have tried to explain some of my misgivings in the next three paragraphs (skip if you will), but can anyone please help with the issues in my daughter’s house I descibe after that?

20 years ago when totally renovating my house, I had a proper electrician do the 1st fix (PME supply), but I plumbed and did the 2nd fix – incl. kitchen, utility, and bathrooms (2) – all copper pipework. Primary bonding was done from CU to water main to oil pipe (no gas supply). Then I was told to cross bond everything! For the kitchen and utility room it was the sink taps to the steel sinks themselves and the appliance taps. For the bathrooms it was the bath to the basin taps, the steel baths, the toilet feeds, the radiators (by drilling a hole through the radiator flange in a non critical place), the metal towel tail, and the earth on the shaver sockets.

Things change. Recently, I have built a new kitchen and utility room, this time using plastic pipe (with copper just for exposed central heating pipes). A big electric contractor did 1st and 2nd fix (2 experienced electricians, 1 lad, and firm’s contracted out Part P inspector to issue certificate) - but thankfully I managed to correct several mistakes in the lighting circuits before the ceilings were installed! Wiring to 16th edition (I have the OSG). But now there is no bonding at all in the kitchen or utility room. There is a new water main, all in plastic. Primary bonding does remain to the old copper main in the old kitchen (now converted to a study), but this is disconnected from the supply pipe and is dry.

Do these bonding provisions make any sense? Firstly, the old water main is essentially a local earth spike (which may differ from the PME earth – the supply earth loop impedance tested low – think it was 0.2ohms). I would rather have removed it altogether, and made good the hole through the damp proof and concrete floor slab. Secondly, why bond the oil pipe – which now runs in plastic conduit its full length to a plastic oil tank? Thirdly, not earthing the sinks is probably good, as there are no other exposed, well earthed objects around.

But now for my daughter’s house (which is about 20 years old), she has just had gas installed and also central heating, and I’m putting in a new kitchen.

Firstly, in the kitchen, the water supply pipe is plastic to the rising main stopcock, then copper internally. The sink taps are cross bonded back to the rising main, with a tail disappearing into the wall (presumably the primary bonding back to the CU). The new gas boiler is less than 2m of pipework from the sink. The Corgi installer cross bonded the hot and cold water pipes to the heating flow and return, and back to the gas main, but despite leaving a long tail, did not connect this to the water main – or to any circuit earth – eg. in the SFU . I have currently fixed this onto one of the bonding clamp terminals under the sink, but presumably I should solder or crimp it to the bond wire near the water main. It also seems overkill to double up on cross-bonding when the sink and boiler are so close.

Secondly, in the bathroom, plumbing to the heated towel rail is in plastic (it was too difficult to make the necessary bends through walls and joists in copper) – so it is essentially isolated. Does it need bonding – across the short lengths of plastic pipe, and then up to the shaver socket? And what is the situation with the bathroom light, extractor fan, and associated cord switch. Are the circuit earths sufficient, or should they be bonded to the bath and basin taps?

I would be very grateful if someone could help clear up my confusion?

Sponsored Links
this is a bit long and I lost concentration

these days, you do not need supplementary bonding in kitchen or utility rooms, only in rooms that contain a bath or shower

you still need main bonding on incoming metallic services such as gas oil and water. if they are part metal and part plastic you bond to the first metal part inside the house, on your side of the meter and stopcock. you cannot rely on the plastic ducting of a metal pipe to prevent it picking up earth potential, e.g. a crack might allow water into the duct

more info on //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics

and //www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=8

As for the boiler, there is not an Electrical regulation, but the manufacturers instructions probably ask for cross bonding. this seems to be so that, even if pipes are disconnected from each other or the boiler, there can be no potential between them if a plumber has e.g. a gas pipe in one hand and a water pipe in the other, and is leaning on the boiler. the pipes should be bonded to the electrical supply to the boiler as well in 4mm G&Y and bonding clamps such as are used in bathrooms.

you do not have to crimp or solder supplementary bonding unless you want to.

once you have suplementary bonded all the metallic services entering the bathroom, to all the electrical serrvices entering it, you do not have to bond items within it such as radiators. Under some circumstances you do not have to supplementary bond in a bathroom, but in an older house these are probably not all met.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back