Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I was just wondering what should you bond as good practice and what is a requirement:-

This is what I thought should be bonded:-

Gas Pipes - Main Bond near meter
Water Pipes - Main Bond where it enters building
Metal Kitchen Sink - Good practice but not requirement
Kitchen pipes feeding taps - cross bond
Bathroom - cross bond pipes feeeding bath taps and sink taps
WC - hmmm I'd assume you'd crossbond with sink or bath whichever is closer?

Am I right or is there more?

Sponsored Links
You'd main bond any ECPs comming into the main equipotential zone within 600mm of point of entry (but on consumer side of metering devices), this is usually just main incomming gas and water supplies back to the MET on the electrical service (and in unbroken cable/two separate bonds, please)

The same process is carried out in the bathroom to make it into its own mini equipotential zone, you'd usually not have any gas, but you'd have multiple water pipes (hot and cold) and multiple cables with cpcs (lights, shower, etc), don't neccessalyly have to bond them on point of entry to the bathroom (you can do them in the airing cupboard if nearby or under the basin)

In kitchen and WC, I can see advantages to cross bonding hot and cold under the sink/basin, dispite it not being required by BS7671, but I'm not sure I'd be too happy to see any further connection between this and any MET or CPC etc (now that one is bound to put the cat amongst the pigeons :D )

On a related note:
Have been doing some research here on what I do and don't need to get done before I get a professional in (I just like to understand what I'm paying for and why).

As I don't have anything electrical within zones 1,2 or 3 of my bathroom (ceiling lights outside zones, no power shower/shaver socket etc at all) it would seem I don't need any supp bonding to comply with regs etc;

a) is this correct ?

b) and if so would it still be best practice to cross bond the CH rad/basin pipes/bath pipes or just a complete waste of time and money ?

apologies if I should have started new thread, but seemed very relevant to this one.

Sponsored Links
You'd still need to bond metallic pipework together and to any other extraneous conductive part such as a metallic building structure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back