Kitchen Sink & Plastic Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had my kitchen sink moved. It is now connected by plastic pipe with a final a short run of copper pipe terminating at the taps. Does the short copper section need bonding to earth? what about the draining board?

Previously the whole sink & pipe work were cross bonded by a 4mm cable (now across the other side of the kitchen) but I understand this is not required now.

Sponsored Links
stem said:
I have just had my kitchen sink moved. It is now connected by plastic pipe with a final a short run of copper pipe terminating at the taps. Does the short copper section need bonding to earth?
No.

what about the draining board?
No.

Previously the whole sink & pipe work were cross bonded by a 4mm cable (now across the other side of the kitchen) but I understand this is not required now.
No.

Though if your main water supply comes in under the sink which seems to be the defacto standard water entry place in most homes... that should be bonded itself irrespective of what around it needs or doesn't need bonding.

10mm² green/yellow should go from the MET to a BS951 clamp on the incomming water, on the customer side of the stop tap and within 600mm of point of entry.

Its the same wherever the water enters btw, just incase that was bit vague

Sponsored Links
From what I`ve seen so far then Ban has a better grasp of electrics than many "Electricians" so far.
OK I can`t pretend that I`ve read all his postings about everything so I might actually disagree with Him on some things sometime but I`ve never expereinced this yet.
He sometimes comes accross as a bit short but this might be by design or then again accidental
Personally if He was talking about a subject I knew nowt about then I`d assume Him to be at least 90% correct then listen to others and gauge the other 10% .
Thats not a bad indicment of anyone.
Carry on Ban

Thanks for all of your comments guys. BTW Adam the main water supply hasn't moved, but the kitchen has. The main is now in a cupboard and still suitably bonded.

Adam_151 said:
Though if your main water supply comes in under the sink which seems to be the defacto standard water entry place in most homes... that should be bonded itself irrespective of what around it needs or doesn't need bonding.

10mm² green/yellow should go from the MET to a BS951 clamp on the incomming water, on the customer side of the stop tap and within 600mm of point of entry.

Its the same wherever the water enters btw, just incase that was bit vague

Only if you've got something to bond to! MDPE plastic pipe coming in to stopcock, plastic pipes from stopcock to rest of house water supply - no need to bond surely - there's nothing to bond to ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back