Earthing a sink after replacing piping with plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just wanted to confirm something with you.

I have recently changed my sink in the kitchen and replaced the piping with plastic. My dad mentioned that the sink now needs to be earthed as the earth connection has been removed due to replacing the piping with plastic.

After reading some post here though, is this not the case now? There are many post saying that supplementary bonding is not required now. Does this cover the example above or is that only the case where the sink is still connected to copper piping?

Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links
you don't have to bond kitchen sinks now

you do however still have to main-bond the water main above the stop-tap where it enters the house.

Thanks for the response.

The only pipes I removed were from the feed into the kitchen, and there was no wiring to these, so I presume the mains is still bonded as before.

you'd better make sure. main bonding is important. Also to the gas pipe. Should be in 10mm green & yellow.

Sponsored Links
OK I'll have a look.

It should be earthed to the same place the consumer unit is?

the consumer unit will have a brass earth bar inside it, where all the earth wires go.

You may possibly have, however, a rather solid-looking earthing block near the meter, and the earths (including one to the consumer unit and one to the electrical incomer) may be connected there.

If it is not clear what you've got, a photo showing the CU, meter, supplier's fuse and incoming service will help us

You might possibly have an earth spike driven into the ground, but this is less common.

Some CUs have bonding terminals inside, so the bonding may go there, or it may go to an external earth block.

[edit]DOH![/edit]

There is an earthing block near the CU.

I'll lift up the floorboards, as the mains water and gas run underneath near there and take a look

Both the gas and water should be bonded within 600mm of the consumers pipework after the stopcock or meter, or 600mm of where the services enter the propety.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back