relocate earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello I have just replaced the copper pipes to my kitchen sink with plastic do I now need to relocate the earth connection to the main copper feed to the flat ?

Sponsored Links
What bonds have been removed? Were they earth bonds between the tap pipes? If so they are obselete, but if it was a single earth connection to the main water pipe, this needs reconnecting if theres still copper exposed where the water main enters.

hi steve no bonds have been removed as yet they are still between the two copper pipes to the taps which I have connected the poly pipe too making that connection I assume would render them useless and would require relocating, but where I am at a loss I am a complete novice
I have had no luck persuading an electrician to turn out

Does the main water feed into the flat come up under the sink?
and do you have any bonds on it, wherever it is (you should have?)

Sponsored Links
hello adam, no the mains water feed comes up on the opposite wall to the sink and feeds five other flats but I cannot see any earth connections on it in my flat !

In that case then, you need to get yourself a BS951 clamp and some 10mm² green/yellow and put a bond onto that water pipe wiithin 600mm of where it enters your flat and before any branchs (bond back to the main earth terminal)

Do you have any other services? Gas? Oil?

wouldn't it be bonded to the main earth bond and the pipe where both enter the BLOCK of flats?

mains comes in to a busbar or whatever means they use to split it to each flat.. this is surely the main earth bonding point for the whole building?
bonding from here to where the water main enters the building?

thought I don't see any harm bonding it in each individual flat also..

thanks Adam and ColJack for your advice and I will do as you both suggest and put a bonding on the main feed pipe into my flat as it would do no harm, I don't know whether it is bonded where it enters the main building and any inquires among the tenants could result in me being summoned in front of the "committee" to be interrogated just when I thought they had forgotten I existed and thats to great a risk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back