Earthing a Sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just installed a new kitchen sink.

The old set up had an earthing wire connected to a closed circuit, which inturn was connected to the mains pipe and the taps feed pipe but not to the sink as it was made of plastic.

Having replaced the sink with a stainless steel one, I wondering if I now need to earth this also. I currently have the earth connected to the mains and the tap feed pipes (all the connecting pipes are plastic) but dont have an earth connected to the actual sink.

Do I need to connect one or is the one connected to the feed end of the taps sufficient? If the sink needs its own is it as simple as bolting it to one of the securing lips on the underside or are there any special connectors?

Cheers
Mark

Sponsored Links
might be best posted in the electrics division !!
i seem to remember that earthing absolutely everything was being relaxed as it was now accepted that water itself is conducting...but not sure

You never 'earth' a sink.

This is an extraneous conductive part and in some special locations it may require to be bonded.

Yours doesn't.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help guys, and sorry for posting in wrong section - kinda assumed it would be a plumber who normally did this.

Mark

No need to connect anything other than pipes to your sink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back