Earthing the Kitchen Sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon everybody

My Query:

Is it adequate to bond and earth the two copper pipes feeding the taps or does the sink also need a separate connection.

Can anyone suggest a suitable connection point, other than drilling a hole in the sink.

The sink is stainless steel.

Sponsored Links
No need to bond the sink or the pipes in the kitchen (unless the kitchen is where the rising main enters the property)

Sponsored Links
There is no specific requirement in BS7671 to bond kitchen sinks, there may be other reasons why bonding is required i.e. if the drain is metallic then the drain should be main equipotentially bonded. Same with water services, if they are extraneous conductive parts they should be main equipotentially bonded too.
Saying this, I don't even know if Ireland works to BS7671.

In Ireland they mainly work to CENLEC standards, however alot of sparks over there do have 2381 and even 2391 quals.

If I remember one of the things that they are requlated to is having a maximum of 4 socket outlet on a radial circuit (most sockets on radials!!) - according to my brother in law who is an Irish spark

holmslaw,would I be right in thinking you are a more mature gentleman, like myself?

Used to be required, but has not been for many years.

I said:
No need to bond the sink or the pipes in the kitchen (unless the kitchen is where the rising main enters the property.

Taylortwocities said:
Not reqd to bond even then for domestic in the UK.

I assume that was aimed at my reponse? If so I apologise, I wasn't very clear. What I meant was that if the rising main enters in the kitchen then it will require main bonding. I didn't mean that supplementary bonding would then be required.

Ahh yes I was hoping to clarify that supp bonding not needed (here in UK). But, of course, water services req. main earth bonding within 600mm of stop cock under the sink or wherever.

Again, this may be academic as the OP isnt in the UK, maybe its on the wrong forum?

Know its pedantic but was under the impression that there is no such thing as "Earth Bonding"......

holmslaw said:
Please explain why you do not have to bond metallic elements - such as a stainless steel sink - in any building, domestic or commercial.

Supplementary bonding is no longer a requirement of BS7671, but as said a number of times in this thread, BS7671 may not be the 'standard' used in Ireland so it would be best to check with some local electricians as to what the best thing to do is.

holmslaw said:
davy owen - thats a comment not an explanation.

Ummm... what more do you want? Electricians in the UK work to BS7671, if BS7671 doesn't state the need for supplementary bonding in the kitchen you don't supplementary bond in the kitchen, end of story.

Obviously the people who write the regulations did some research that proved supp. bonding in the kitchen didn't make it any safer so it was scrapped due to being pointless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back