Upgrade of TT Supply for PE & Earth bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have enquired about this upgrade from my local provider and was advised that I need a certificate from a qualified electrician before they will proceed.

On inspection the electrician stated that the existing earth bonding needs upgrading from 6mm to 10mm running from the CU to the Gas and Water pipes.

No mention of upgrading the existing earth from the Earth rod to CU. I assume because it will be rendered useless once the PE is available.

Additionally suplementary bonding would be required in the bathroom etc. He also mentioned tests on this earthing.

My question is - What is actually necessary? Do we need to confirm to Part P for the Earthing to get the certificate?

What is a resonable cost to obtain this certificate?

many Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can upgrade the main bonding yourself and it is not notifiable. However the bathroom is a special location and fitting supplementary bonding could be a messy job and it is notifiable. There are ways round the latter particularly if your main bonding is upgraded to the 17th. It maybe easier to RCD protect all circuits entering the bathroom and aesthetically a better job (poss use of RCBO or RCD).

Best to get a quote for the work before you proceed, also good to get at least 1 more quote

Sponsored Links
Yes in a TT it would be. If I understand the thread the idea would be to change to TNC-S. (OP, did you mean PME, not PE in the subject line?)

In that case a 16mm earth cable is needed from the supply head to the MET.

Bear in mind that its YOU that connects that conductor. You may want to get a spark in to do that as the earth impdeances will need checking using calibrated test equipment.

Per the OP's query re the conductor to the earth electrode:
when you upgrade the earth spike and the connecting cable is redundant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back