I’m a bit confused about part p

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m a bit confused about part p.
The electrician came back the other day to fix the reverse polarity on the lighting circuit and before that he wired the new shower and pull switch in the bathroom, changed the old fuse board and put in a new Consumer Unit, sockets in the loft, and put power down to and in the garage. He will be sending the pass certificate in the post.
The system here is TT. The bonding in the bathroom when the electrician came was a bit of old thin earth wire raped around some of the pipes under the bath and on of them went under the floor and one of them was cut off hanging lose. The electrician has seen this and put in new earth bonding from the gas pipe and the water mains back to the CU and all old earth bonding was left in the same state as when he came.

I have some questions to ask.

What earth bonding should be in the bathroom to pass the part p?

Should the garage have its own earth rod or is it ok to run three core SWA cable and use one of the wires for the earth from the house CU back to the garage?

What bonding should be in the kitchen?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
None in kitchen. Link all pipes and other metallic bits to each other & to the cpc's of circuits in the bathroom, ie lighting, shower, immersion etc....

No spike needs to be used if earth is imported from TT though personally I'd put one in if it was a great deal of distance from the house.

Ok on not needing an earth rod at the garage.

Should the electrician give a part p pass in the bathroom with the bonding left like it is?

Sponsored Links
Did he carry out electrical installation work in the bathroom?

If yes, then he should have brought the supplementary up to date.

Yes there was no shower so I put a new one in and he run the cables and did the connection from the CU.

Can some one please explain to me how and where it should be bonded as per the regs?

Thanks

The on site WiKi has most of your answers.

Try //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:supplementary-equipotential-bonding

suppbond.JPG

If he's a decent and knowledgeable electrician he should have measured the resistance between various parts of the earthy metalwork. If it is all in copper, there is a good chance that it is already bonded and, if so, the necessary bonding between protective conductor terminals of bathroom circuits and such metalwork can often be achieved with very few added lengths of green-and-yellow cable.

(If he did this he'd be very much in the minority though, as, if there's one thing that confuses the heck out of most electicians it's the subjects of earthing-and-bonding and testing. Trust me, I encounter this ignorance on a fortnightly basis!)

That bonding seems like overkill but i don't see any mistakes as such in it.

hot pipe bonded twice, cold pipe bonded twice.

People often think they have to bond each pipe at every tap, but you just need to bond the pipe where it enters the bathroom. otherwise you might end up bonding the cold pipe five times (bath, basin, bidet, shower, WC cistern)

nothing at all wrong with over bonding things... if yo have the time and clamps to spare then why not?

I will still be bonding all the pipes in my kitchen when I get round to doing it.. and to the sink too.. so there.. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back