Domestic Electrician Course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am after a bit of advice. Basically I am thinking of ditching a well paid job to train to become a domestic electrician which will allow me to work for myself and hopefully benefit from doing so.

I've seen on quite a few forums that CCC (Career Change Cowboys) as some people refer to them, get quite a bit of stick and I was wondering how easy it is, at the age of 28, to get in the electrical game, get the work experience and earn a good living.

The course costs £4500 and seems to qualify you quite well - C&G 2382, C&G2377/002, C&G2392/10.

Has anyone taken this route and got any good advice to pass on.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
How long is this course?

To do such alot of courses ,intensive training isnt the way i belive.

whos the course provider? is it one of those 2 month courses?

Hi

I currently work in Telecoms but I am studying my C&G 2330 in electrical installations level 3 having recently passed level 2 , you complete the theory work from home and attend workshops which are based around the UK to complete your practical.

Before I started I had completed a HNC in Electric and Electronic Engineering this gave me the grounding in circuit theory which is paramount to know before you start with the practical stuff.

I dont think 2330 is a requirment to do electrical installations but it does give you the grounding in the subject the 2330 is what school leavers wanting to be electricians sign up to.

Sponsored Links
two guys i used to work with in IT did it.

They ditched jobs paying circa £60k p/a with benefits to be sparkys. They did all their training at night school, though I know they had an understanding of electrics beforehand (experienced diyers you might say)

Both have gone self employed, and 6 months in are loving it. they both said they've taken a fair pay cut, but being older than me and not having a mortage meant they could afford the initial reduction in pay.

... I say initial as I suspect they will both grow the companies in time.

So, yeah, it can be done, I can't honestly see why you would want to do it personally, if you have a well paid job already, but if you don't enjoy your current job (I do) then go for it.

-Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back