Going Self Employed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right people just a few questions concerning going self employed doing mostly domestic. First off all I ain't time served yet so this ain't gonna be anytime soon and it just to get peoples advice as I know others who have left it to last minutes before starting and it just seems a lot of hassle. I'd rather have a good idea of whats best to so that I'm prepared when the time comes. Bearing in mind I'm in Scotland just incase that changes answers to some questions.

How many years as a tradesman with another company would you say would stand me in good stead for going on my own?

Do you really need to join an organisation as I know some people that ain't in one?

Someones told me government etc give you help to start up? Anybody know what kind of help?

How do you become certified to sign off new builds?

And any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
How many years as a tradesman with another company would you say would stand me in good stead for going on my own?
Provided you can actually do the job properly, it isn't the number of years which matters. Far more important will be your abilities to deal with customers and actually running a business (since when employed, other people would have done most/all of that).

Someones told me government etc give you help to start up? Anybody know what kind of help?
Forget it - the days of a Labour government are over.

Can't help on the other points as the system of notification etc. is rather different in Scotland.

As Flameport states its not just how much time has been served, running your own business takes all sorts of different skills AND different styles if dealing with domestic.

Can you handle the paperwork (tons of it!!)can you keep your accountant happy, the tax man. Is Joe public going to "like" you, whats going to make them come to you rather than the next guy with an advert.

Put all that aside the best thing to do is to speak to an accountant regarding whats the best structure for your company, a simple thing like if its domestic and you can avoid it dont get VAT registered. You wont p*ss people of by quoting £100 and then the bill arrives for £117.5 (or (120 soon :eek: ) and you are 17.5% cheaper than a VAT registered company. Helps get you into the market.
How are you going to market yourself. How will you survive whilst your business establishes itself. These are the things that need the time spending upon as well as being good at what you do on the job.

Although the government probably doesnt have as much mony to spend they do (still i think)have business advisors who you can get to through the good old dole office. They are good at asking you questions to make you think about what you have got to go through. The best thing i got from one of them was a cash flow sheet, it really changed some of thoughts i had.

Many do it the other way around although I know it is wrong. No papers and no one will employ you so they go self employed then once they have some experience give it all up and go cards in.
Hence why so many cow boys.

My dad did 7 years 5 as apprentice and 2 as journeyman. When I came to do it I did 4 years years and my dad was up in arms at such a short apprenticeship now some are doing two years which seems far too short.

But it is all about how quick one learns my son had 2 weeks as an electricians mate when I lied and got him his first job as an electrician and I covered for him for about 3 weeks and after 10 weeks he left me to run his own site.

OK whole family are Electricians so maybe not quite fair to talk about him and he had just finished in University but some people learn quick and others never learn.

Much depends on your back ground and if you don't have Granddads, and Fathers to ring up every time your not sure then it will be hard.

Nothing so sole destroying when some one says you can't do that it not allowed and you haven't a clue if he's right or wrong. There is only so much you can kid people. However watching builders from hell I am surprised how much that is.

But I feel you need around 4 years to learn enough to become self employed and be truly independent and not have to keep calling on others for advice.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys I'll take this on board. Anybody from good old Scotland got any advice?

It's not an easy journey at present

I have been trading since 2003 and my repeat business and word of mouth is just keeping thingd ticking over

In Scotland join SELECT once you are qualified.See www.sbsc.uk.net
for more info.

Get 3-5 years post trade experience behind you before you go out on your own

I don't do work for builders as they generally don't understand your job, but tell you how to do yours- oh and they never pay up on time (or atall)

My advice- go books in for someone else and have an easier life

If you work for a decent company who pays you a reasonable wage provides you with a van to take home / power tools / sick pay etc I think going it alone would be a silly idea (especially house bashing) one of my guys did a few years ago and says he makes less money now but likes being his own boss so far enough.
Remember you will have to pay for your van, tools, test equipment, making good your mistakes, time quoting for jobs you don't get, holidays, insurance, accountant, marketing etc etc etc

if it was me I would be working weekend and evening to get established first, hard but that's life, I've had 10 guys working for me but I've still been doing 80+hours a week you need to do what the customer wants to keep business ( some are best avoided!)

also personally I would avoid houses other than new builds

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back