Going Self Employed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently I work with a firm, I have been with them for the last 8 years and did my apprenticeship with them. We have plenty of work and all is good, but my dad thinks perhaps its time to go by myself.

This is quite an exciting thought, and he himself is a businessman and has lots of contacts, so I dont think finding work will be too hard.

But my question is this, everyday I learn something I didnt know. And at work I have the back up of some very knowledgeable people for those problems I cant get over myself.

What do you self employed people charge per hour, and what, roughly, is your take home pay if things go well?

Just wondered what your thoughts are on the idea?!!

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Dodgy times, I would have thought, to be starting up on your own.

If you've got a safe job that you enjoy you should think long and hard about giving it up.

You'll need to be registered with one of the "Part P" schemes if you are doing domestic.

What qualifications do you have, are they enough to get you in with NAPIT, NICEIC, etc?

I have all the testing and inspection, 2330, 2391, etc etc I cant remember all the numbers! I am fully qualified! Yes I realise I would need to be with one of the schemes. I have a lot of experience in all agricultural, industrial, commercial and domestic sectors so thats good! Any idea on rates in the devon area, and take home pay?!

Sponsored Links
remember you need to charge 40 to 60 % more to cover holidays sickness and pensions

It's the wrong time to go self employed now, stay with your job and just do private jobs on evenings and weekends.

Andy

Done the same thing myself but ive had to keep my full time job in highway lighting on as i just havent enough work on to go out on my own full time which is my dream.
Its prob going to cost more than you will earn to start the business off with all the upfront cost to pay out like a van and insurance and public liability and part p membership.
The money varies depending to the area and i usually adjust my quote to suit, Ive had people put the phone down when quoted £30 to connect there electric cooker to an existing supply point.
Im in two minds at the moment on if i should just give up on the idea of being self employed and stick with my lighting job as it pays rather well.

Done the same thing myself but ive had to keep my full time job in highway lighting on as i just havent enough work on to go out on my own full time which is my dream.
Its prob going to cost more than you will earn to start the business off with all the upfront cost to pay out like a van and insurance and public liability and part p membership.
The money varies depending to the area and i usually adjust my quote to suit, Ive had people put the phone down when quoted £30 to connect there electric cooker to an existing supply point.
Im in two minds at the moment on if i should just give up on the idea of being self employed and stick with my lighting job as it pays rather well.

Stay where you are Mate , things are pretty tough out there , I`m a lot quieter now , things started to slow down Late Summer , The Jobs I am am getting are also tighter on Price , So your last 3 Words say it all !

Lucky

started the business up in March got my part P with ELECSA in May didnt have much work on, picked up in August and i was working most weekends until end of November which was my best month so far. The major cost is placing an advert in the local paper and buy-sell mag its about £120 for 4 weeks and sometimes get no response at all or just get the timewasters calling for a quote.

I've spent 14 years working for various firms, and all that time I've been building up the contacts by doing private work on evenings and weekends.

I had bought all the tools, equipment, drills, testers etc required for my private work, and also bought a van before I finally jacked my job in, so I had very little to pay out to get up and running.

Obviously there is still expense such as 'part p' membership, and PL and PI insurance

I've not been SE all that long, but so far (touch wood) it's been none stop. I also work with a lad I used to work with at one of the firms who is self employed, and it works really well. When I'm busy, or doing a big job he comes and helps me, and vice versa.

The hardest thing I've found is not taking on so much work so that you end up not having time to do the paperwork.

If you go for it, good luck!

I'd have to get one first, and I definitely can't afford one of those at the moment!

Thanks for all your replys. RF your story sounds interesting! :D

I do a bit of private work at the moment mainly for family and friends, but what is the best way to go about doing more private work for other people "joe bloggs" etc.. Do you have your own PL insurance? Also how did you go about the testing side of things when you were doing private work?

You need PL insurance to be a scheme member.
Word of mouth is the best advertisement, get some cards printed and displayed in local shops and some leaflets in to letter boxes.
Don't bother with spending a load of money on paper, yell or magazine advertisement , networking is also a good way of getting work, join some social groups and let them get to know what you do.
You say you have 2391 so what is the problem with testing, you just follow the test procedures as given in GN3 and fill in the forms/schedules.
Then issue them to the client.
I would get some major work under your belt, something like a re-wire or CU change and have it as evidence of your work, for the scheme assessor to view.
It will take about 8 weeks to get an assessment date, so I would be thinking of getting registered with a scheme with that date in mind, as you wont be able to self cert your work until have passed your assessment.

Regarding my testing question.. I know I should understand this more but at the moment I have to do a test form for virtually any jobs with my form, and then I hand the form in and my boss and office staff print it out and send it to the customer. Be it minor works or installation or periodic. Then there is jobs which are notifiable, ie new circuits, or work in a kitchen or bathroom etc. So if I was doing private work, and say for example added a light to exsisting circuit in a bedroom, so not notifiable, then should I be still giving a testing certificate (minor works)?

Cheers Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back