should i go self employed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me some advice on self employment PLEASE.. I have been in the building industry for aprox 6 yrs now and am now classed as a skilled labourer. I am 34 not qualified in a trade (regretably), but feel very capable in varios aspects within building. I am currently on the books, but was informed on Friday that as of end June 2008 the company is ceasing trading. My boss is going it alone and asked me if i would consider going with him on a self employed basis. He feels i know have enough skills in my pocket to 'go it alone' but i know very little about going self employed. Is this a good idea or am i better off looking for employment on the books.. Any advive would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
latest construction industry tax rules means that he will have to employ you anyhow.

there is a way around the rules but it would probably mean you buying your own materials from time to time, and being paid directly by the customer. you will need independent liability insurance too.

look at what is best for yourself. it looks as though he is using your services on a 'no obligation' scenario, and may let you go when he feels like it.

Thanks for the reply, he has made it clear to me that he can't guarantee the work, whick i suppose is part the parcel of being self employed, i suppose my main concern is how easy or difficult is it to find the work elsewhere when i've never had to worry about it before. I've just started looking into liability insurance, and have been recommended to get an accountant.

very good advice. axa do a good insurance cover that is very competative, however they arent brilliant on settling claims quickly.

get a good accountant.it will save you money.

if you are a hard worker and have a good can do attitude, clean, tidy, punctual, professional and take pride in your work you will always pick up work

Sponsored Links
if you are a hard worker and have a good can do attitude, clean, tidy, punctual, professional and take pride in your work you will always pick up work

spot on Thermo, thats why Im learning Polish :LOL:

Back