commercial paperhanging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
not sure if this is the best site for this question but here goes
i am a building maintenance contractor stepping slightly out of my comfort zone, i am quoting for a job, much of which is basic decoration of woodwork and ceilings, however a significant part of it is removing and replacing the existing wall coverings in communal areas and stairwells of a block of flats.
Q1. current wallcovering is a woven backed material of significant thickness which has been there since the 70's, walls underneath appear sound from what i can tell, it is in a 1960's tower. i envisaged roller spiking it and steaming, crossing fingers that the strength and integrity of the material enables it to be removed in strips of some size. ?do i hope in vain or is there a better method to remove this kind of covering.?
Q2, i am a competent hanger of wallpaper on a domestic level, however the size of this job has led me to discover that greater roll widths are available and pasting machines to suit although i have had difficulty locating any. any advice on the difficulties and considerations involved with this would be very much appreciated,
the job has mostly drops of 2.5m with 3-5m runs in places, interrupted by doors to dwellings and service cupboards, would extra width speed the job up that much or is it more designed for longer stretches.
also any info on pasting machines or commercial wallcovering companies would be very much appreciated.
many thanks for any responses from experience

Sponsored Links
You should be ok with a steamer to get it off, might be tough going as the original wallcovering would have been put up with a ready mixed adhesive.
It may need relining when stripped.

Murec was one of the ones i used to use. 5 feet wide. Cut dry and paste the wall with a roller using ready mixed adhesive. Over lap the joint about 3 inches and use a sharp blade to cut through both pieces, then use a seam roller to flatten.

Never used a paste machine but there are a few models about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back