Commissioning New system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just installed a new system, what is the best method of flushing out the swarf\flux etc? Do I remove the 3 way valve and replace with a piece of pipe? Do I need the pump in, or would I take it out and use gravity to drain through the system?

Powerflush - is this really necessary or do the old methods work - whatever they are.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
You don't HAVE to powerflush, but if you have a tiny piece of copper swarf in a radiator, it will corrode through in weeks.

Opinions vary.
Put 3 port valve on the Man or latched position - ie open
Fill cold, bleed, run pump to help get air out, and drain out. Major check-for-leaks time. You really need good sized drains on each of flow and return. I always put a drain cock into a compresion fitting , so I can remove the drain cock and put a hose on a bigger hole.
Fill systemwith Sentinel X300 or Fernox restorer, run boiler for specified time hot. Given the opportunity I do that with empty hw cylinder so its much quicker to heat up! Empty again.

Fill again ,and empty to get the cleaner chemical out. Fill again with Sentinel X100 or Fernox MB-1 or other approved by manufacturer.

It's all a real pain but worth it for your own system. If you have 18 rads it takes all bloomin day. Most installers fill twice, tops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back