Common Interface Module

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know I have a slot but does it actually exist? Would kind of make a mockery of the name Freeview if it did I suppose, so I will guess not in the UK.

Since I have not got Freeview set up, no aerials as yet can't check. If I do set one up it will be aimed as Miss Piggy at Moel-y-Parc so if only in some areas that's where I aim aerials.

Seems RAYNET in this area has died so was considering using my now redundant radios from home, and it would make sense to use my HB9CV aimed at GB3MP at Moel-y-Parc so wondered if worth putting up a TV aerial at the same time aimed same direction.

But unless I can either kick Sky to touch or get programs worth watching not available on sky basic package then not worth the effort. Tried in door aerial but gets moved every time we close curtains and the old loop aerial is just on the edge to be able to receive. I had expected better I can open Miss Piggy with a hand held at 5 Watt so expected to get TV with a screw driver stuck in aerial socket. It is line of sight from my location and about 10 miles away. May be we pick up off back of an aerial here above Mold?

Sponsored Links
ericmark, is there a Google Translation link for your posts? :ROFLMAO:

Right, here goes.... CI slot..... "Does it exist?" If we ignore any philosophical debates about whether we and the world we perceive exists then the answer is Yes, it exists because you have the CI slot there in front of you. I think the question you were groping to place is "Are there any services that make use of the CI slot?", to which the answer AFAICT in the UK and relating to the national DVB-T2 (Freeview) service is 'No'. Setanta Sport was I think the last service to make use of the sort of encryption that required a Conditional Access Module (the card that goes in to a CI slot).

Miss Piggy and your HB9CV........ you're talking about radio reception I take it? Sure, if you have the gear and something to listen on then what's to lose?

Sky's version of the Freeview service does have some channel differences. There's not many, but they are listed on-line so it's easy to find out what these are. There is better access to HD for the main national HD channels via Freeview than Sky's 'free-to-view' service. However, once you start paying Murdoch for his services then your SkyHD box starts to become a whole lot more useful and the balance tips more in Sky's favour IMO with access to channels such as Sky Atlantic.

Moel-y-Parc requires a "group B" aerial but you'll probably get better results by using a V10-28L log-periodic aerial and a "group B" bandpass filter to eliminate interference from Winter Hill, Wrexham and Storeton.

Sky's version of the Freeview
I think you mean FreesatfromSky compared with Freeview.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back