Connecting to Freeview with an internal TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have SKY but am considering getting rid of SKY. My TV is a Sony HD with internal Freeview.

I live in a flat with a communal aerial via a satellite dish near the roof. Can I receive Freeview via the aerial socket marked TV (it is currently plugged into SAT1 and SAT2 on the aerial socket).

Also do in also to buy any other kind of box to receive Freeview (HD).

Any assistance you can give me would be gratefully appreciated as I completely dumb about these things. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sally, first & before it's commented on...

When using a forum it's best to post in the right section where others will see it who visit that particular sub forum dedicated to a certain topic.

Audio Visual
Questions, discussions and problems regarding televisions, satellite systems, home cinema and any other audio visual related topic.
Available at //www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=35

Is where it should go.

Finally - yes - just get a lead with the correct plugs on and connect your internal freeview receiver to the TV socket on the wall.
It can only "not work" and will not (unless there is a major fault) harm your tv.

No - you need nothing else if your TV has an internal freeview decoder.

By the way - if when leaving Sky you ask for your card to be changed to a "Freesat" card then you may be able to receive the free to air satellite channels, which depending upon what you can receive with an ordinary aerial may be more.

Many thanks for the information regarding the Forum and also for your very useful comments.
Could you advise me regarding Freesat. Can my broadband connection be wireless and, if so, how far can the rputer box be to the TV.

By the way - if when leaving Sky you ask for your card to be changed to a "Freesat" card then you may be able to receive the free to air satellite channels, which depending upon what you can receive with an ordinary aerial may be more.

Guess what Freesat does not need a card, the clue is FREE.

When you leave Sky the box will continue to work for the free channels. (just take the card out now and see what you are left with). A cancelled card will give you about 3 or 4 extra channels which you probably won't want to watch anyway.

So really you don't need to do anything but connecting an aerial lead will do no harm and will give you a backup.

Don't really understand you question about broadband. Broadband is not required for TV or Freesat unless you want iplayer etc. The router can be connected by CAT 5 cable from anywhere in the house. Wireless usually works in the average house as well.

Sponsored Links
I currently have SKY but am considering getting rid of SKY. My TV is a Sony HD with internal Freeview.

I live in a flat with a communal aerial via a satellite dish near the roof. Can I receive Freeview via the aerial socket marked TV (it is currently plugged into SAT1 and SAT2 on the aerial socket).

Probably, assuming your communal system actually has a TV feed. If it doesn't then you can get a freesat box from ebay for about £30 which will connect to one of the SAT sockets and give you the freesat channels.

To view the FTA (Free To Air) programmes you need NO card.
To view the additional FreesatFromSky channels you need a Sky viewing card but the one you have will automatically work when it is cancelled. No need to ask.

You haven't stated which Sky Digibox you have. If it's a PVR it will NO LONGER RECORD after card cancellation unless you tell Sky IN YOUR CANCELLATION LETTER that you wish to pay (around £10 + VAT per month) for the recording facility only.

Alternatively, to view Freesat you'd need a Freesat receiver. To view AND record Freesat, you'd need a Freesat PVR. A one-off cost; no subscription required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back