Aerial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if anyone can help. I have a sky box supplying my tv downstairs with freeview (i don't pay for a sky package)

I have just fitted a tv upstairs and was going to use the spare aerial that was left in the loft for a reception to the tv upstairs. As i thought the sky dish supplied all the channels on freeview. But after cutting the aerial to route it to the tv upstairs I have realised that the normal aerial supplied channels 2,4 and 5 to the tv downstairs. I can't get my head around this as i thought if you had a sky dish supplying a sky box everything went through the dish :cry:

Sponsored Links
Those channels are all on Freeview.

Surely all you need to do is do whatever you do to get a freeview channel up and then use the sky remote to find the channel you want?

In other words do everything through your sky box.

I have tried resetting the box without the teresstrial aerial connected to the sky box. And still it doesn't display a picture for channels 2, 4 and 5, it says no signal found. I'm really confused now. :cry:

Can you explain a bit more.

For reference - a dish can only supply a sat. decoder not a normal freeview box.

It could go Dish to Sky box. Sky box RF out to 2nd TV - this will enable the 2nd TV to see whatever is on the sky box or it could go:

Dish to Sky box and separate terrestrial aerial to freeview box to 2nd TV allowing the 2nd TV to see all freeview channels.

It cannot go dish to 2 x sat boxes unless you use a twin (or more) LNB. The dish does not supply normal terrestrial freeview.

Note on terminology -

Freeview - free digital channels supplied by an aerial.

free sat - free digital channels supplied by a satellite to a sat. dish. (each box will need a separate feed from a LNB on the dish.

Sponsored Links
Yes sorry. Basically i have a sky dish supplying a sky box and i only have subscribed to sky freestat. There is also a teresstrial feed from the aerial going into the sky box, so when i take this out, i can't view channels 2, 4 and 5. I just thought all freestat channels came through the dish. I'm really confused. There is no other tv's connected to the box. There is an RF2 output going to DVD and that is it.

Also on the setup instructions that came with the sky box. It does say plug in terrestrial aerial. Which is also confusing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back