Aerial question 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if anyone can help. I have a sky box supplying my tv downstairs with freestat (i don't pay for a sky package)

I have just fitted a tv upstairs and was going to use the spare teresstrial aerial that was left in the loft for a reception to the tv upstairs. As i thought the sky dish supplied all the channels on freestat. But after cutting the aerial to route it to the tv upstairs I have realised that the normal aerial supplied channels 2,4 and 5 to the tv downstairs. I can't get my head around this as i thought if you had a sky dish supplying a sky box everything went through the dish

Sponsored Links
There are still a couple of channels which are encrypted but most have now removed the encryption the 5 analogue channels are now not encrypted but UK History I think still is? You may need to re-scan for channels to pick up Channel 4 as this was originally encrypted. Originally the BBC sold cards to UK addresses for one off payment to pick up the encrypted channels but I think this has now stopped. Most free to sky boxes don't have hole to take card and only Ex Sky boxes had the ability to take these cards. However the Sky boxes will only receive astra and have no output to control the rotator to allow you to receive euro bird as well and were lower quality to many of the free to satellite boxes. However in the main Ex-sky boxes have better electronic program guide.

Sponsored Links
Does your TV have a built in freesat tuner? If not, I fail to see how you couldn't have realised you were missing these channels before. Surely you would have had to use the set top box remote to surf most channels, then switch to the TV remote and come off the SCART/HDMI output from the box back onto the terrestrial tuner to watch channels 2, 4 and 5?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back