Sattelite Dish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a stelite dish on a house we just moved into. If I get a normal satellite reciever will I automatically receive freeview channels without registering with sky? Basically the aerial that is connected to the tv at the moment is a loft aerial which is crap. I understand we will get a better reception from the dish. Is that correct?

Sponsored Links
Yes, if you buy a FTA satellite receiver such as this, and yuor LNB is ok and the dish is allined properly they you should receive digital telly fine without a sky subscription.

You could, failing that buy a FTA system from sky, which will get you a new dish and box enabling you to get all the free channels with NO annual subscription fee.

you can just get the FTA card if you have a digibox already... ( i might have one for sale soon if I upgrade to skyHD... )

Sponsored Links
And do you intend to power your freeview box from the same 3 pin socket on the lighting circuit in your bedroom?

What is the telephone connection used for on the Sky Box. Is it used to display the information on the listings page?

No that all comes through the sattelite signals.

The phone socket is for purchasing pay per view films / sporting events and the like.

If the dish was previously used for a Sky service, then you'd be better off getting a cheap 2nd hand Sky decoder and ordering (for £20 from Sky) a "Freesat" card.

"FTA" cards : --
Strictly speaking, signals that are transmitted unencrypted are known as "FTA", these can be displayed from any FTA receiver, or a Sky box with no card in its slot.
Signals that are encrypted but that can be displayed from a Sky box without a subscription by use of a card that can be purchased for a one off £20 (IIRC) are known as "FTV" (free to VIEW)).
see www.digitalspy.co.uk.

If you have a Sky+ dish, then yes, although officially Sky don't support Sky+ with the Freesat service.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back