Compact double bevel slider?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a compact 8" sliding mitre saw with double bevel. I've been lookign a lot at the Makita LS1013 (i see some models with an L sufffix.. what does it denote?) but they have one on this job and the thing is a beast that needs chaining down of an evening so i'd like something a bit handier to lug around. The Dewalt DWS774 looks terrific value and a great bit of kit but only bevels one way. Being right handed i much prefer to have the work on the left and angle bevels in towards myself and not away. So does anything fit the bill and not cost a fortune? The bosch's look nice but i've only seen single bevel versions in that price range.

Sponsored Links
Not sure Makita do a double bevel slide saw at less than about 25 kg, the LS0714 at 13 kg is only single bevel (it bevels to the right about 5 degrees). The lighter the saw the lower the depth of cut, generally.

The LS1013 went out of production a few years ago, although used models - mostly 110 volt - regularly turn up on Ebay.

I own the LS1013 and it is a brilliant saw.

Others will doubtless advise on suitable DeWalt models

Cheers,

Blup

suffixes tend to be extra kit "L" could be lazer or legstand for example

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Good to know thanks. Doubt i'd be using a laser much. If it's only the heavier saws that bevel both ways then i'd probably go for something like that Dewalt and get used to cutting from the bottom of bevel but it would really be nice (and quicker) to be able to cut from the point of bevel with a smaller form factor..

I'm looking for a compact 8" sliding mitre saw with double bevel. I've been lookign a lot at the Makita LS1013 (i see some models with an L sufffix.. what does it denote?) ....
The LS1013 is big, heavy, has abysmal dust extraction, has an inadequate bevel scale (i.e. unreadable and therefore inaccurate) although the mitre scale is excellent, it requires a lot of space behind the saw (because of the rails), it doesn't have the same bevel or mitre angle range as most newer saws, either, but worst of all (to my mind) is the fact that many older ones I've seen have badly worn turntable detents meaning that 45 degrees often isn't. I'm forced into using a hire one at the moment (main contractor policy on the current project) and I could cheerfully drop it out of a window onto the contracts manager, it's that awful to use. Had one for many years - and whilst it was a good saw in 2005 things have moved on a ways - and my back has gotten a lot older!

As B-A says, the "L" suffix means laser. Not a brilliant feature as it can only be set to one edge or the other of the blade (ideally you need a double laser line for complete accuracy) and I can tell you from experience that they don't take to rough handling like bumping around in the back of a van which can knock them out of alignment

The LS1013 went out of production a few years ago, although used models - mostly 110 volt - regularly turn up on Ebay.
It went out of production something like 6 or 7 years ago (replaced by the LS1016 and LS1019) meaning that will soon no longer be any obligation on the part of the manufacturer to supply spares - not that I think Makita would do that, but worth knowing that when buying an old tool spares obligation is limited.

I made a similar decision a few years back - my back wouldn't take lugging an LS1013 around forever more so I opted for a 216mm deWalt single bevel which has proven big enough for 80 to 90% of my work and which is more than adequate for general carpentry, softwood and MDF architraves and skirtings, etc. It can take a bit more adjustment with the block plane at times, but I've learned to live with the single bevel. On a few occasions I've used similar size machines owned by colleagues who've all been of a similar mind, valuing compactness, light weight and portability at a slight loss of capacity and convenience over higher capacity and the double bevel feature (I rarely need to cut housings). Of the machines I've used the little 190mm (LS0714) and 216mm (LS0815) Makitas struck me as being very lightweight (even against my DW), but I was still unhappy about the illegibility of the bevel scales. Because they share the same style of mitre detents as the LS1013 (i.e. cast inti=o the underside of the turntable) they wiull in due ciourse suffer the same fate as all LS1013s and get sloppy. To my mind the one firm who've cracked this is DW with their screw-on detent plate (an idea copied by Festool and even Makita on the latest LS1019).

To play devil's advocate here even further, have you considered a 10in saw on a mobile, folding saw stand? I did consider that as well, but it won't work for me in many instances

Thanks for all that. I didnt know that about the wearing detents either. The Dewalt DWS774is continues to look like a great option especially at only £200 if i put up with single bevel but maybe a 10" on stand wouldn't be too bad and i would be wanting a stand either way. Got any models in mind? I saw a Bosch 8" that swung both ways but it was twice the price..

I've been lookign a lot at the Makita LS1013

Probably the best db scms ever made in my opinion. We have about four of them at work. Very accurate we find.
And all the parts easily available.
https://www.mtmc.co.uk/Makita-LS1013-Spare-Parts__p-75956.aspx
And here's a beauty on gumtree at the moment....
https://www.gumtree.com/p/power-saw...g-mitre-saw.-240v.-mint-condition./1295795672

The latest dewalt is a horrid saw to use in comparison as the glide rails don't run freely. Its only when you have them sitting side by side that you see the difference.
In fact the guy who owned the brand new dewalt DW717XPS in my workshop preferred to use my LS1013 instead.:D

Last edited:
Probably the best db scms ever made in my opinion. We have about four of them at work. Very accurate we find.
And all the parts easily available.
https://www.mtmc.co.uk/Makita-LS1013-Spare-Parts__p-75956.aspx
And here's a beauty on gumtree at the moment....
https://www.gumtree.com/p/power-saw...g-mitre-saw.-240v.-mint-condition./1295795672

I could have had one with a Dewalt stand for £100 less on Ebay but as i say it's just too damn big for my liking at the mo..

We had a chap on one job last year who bought a DWS774 for use on site. It was quite similar in many ways to the earlier DW771, but with a smaller motor and somewhat lighter build. Downsides: not the greatest range for mitre cutting (but still better than an LS1013), small bevel scale, so-so dust extraction and no trenching facility (an over rated facility if your doors/casings come in as pre-hung sets which is what almost all the big and medium-size companies are doing these days). Upsides: very small and light, portable - especially good handles (makes one-handed carrying a breeze - try that with a 10in SCMS), sufficient capacity to handle 90% (or more) of the second fix work most of use will ever see as well as cutting 7 x 2s for joisting out, adequate power, 216mm blades are readily available and cheap. Certainly worth a look if you are in the market for a simple, low-cost, light weight saw - especially if you happy to use a single bevel saw (some of the younger lads we get are totally clue less on that score).

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a chap on one job last year who bought a DWS774 for use on site. It was quite similar in many ways to the earlier DW771, but with a smaller motor and somewhat lighter build. Downsides: not the greatest range for mitre cutting (but still better than an LS1013), small bevel scale, so-so dust extraction and no trenching facility (an over rated facility if your doors/casings come in as pre-hung sets which is what almost all the big and medium-size companies are doing these days). Upsides: very small and light, portable - especially good handles (makes one-handed carrying a breeze - try that with a 10in SCMS), sufficient capacity to handle 90% (or more) of the second fix work most of use will ever see as well as cutting 7 x 2s for joisting out, adequate power, 216mm blades are readily available and cheap. Certainly worth a look if you are in the market for a simple, low-cost, light weight saw - especially if you happy to use a single bevel saw (some of the younger lads we get are totally clue less on that score).

Thanks again for the feedback. Until i'm mobile again that sounds like a handy option. I really would prefer having bevel both ways but i managed for years with a Makita 1030 so i can manage i guess. Also i spose most jobs will alread have a chopsaw or two as no point 6 of em being on the job. Play it by ear..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back