Double bevel mitre saw - up to £600

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, another "spec me a mitre saw thread" :D
However, please enteratin this one as i have approx £600 to spend and want the right one.
Most of my power tools are DeWalt or Bosch Pro.
Not too fussy over brand, but these are what i've been hanging my nose over so far....
  1. Metabo KGS315 Plus
    Fast RPM, looks compact, 120mm depth of cut.
  2. Bosch GCM10SD2
    Good value, includes stand
  3. DeWalt 780
    Seems great quality, slightly over budget though.
  4. DeWalt DW717XPS
    Model below 780(?) smaller, more compact.
Any more options? Ideally want a table for it, but that may have to wait.
I'm basically looking for something that is as compact as possible whilst maintainting decent cutting depth, width and accuracy over time (for future proof). Its probably overkill for my needs, but hey-ho, i want what i want (its being gifted to me in lieu of payment for a job)

So....opinions please :D

Sponsored Links
I'll kick the ball off, then. Of those I'd probably be more inclined to look at the DWs. The simplest reason is reliability and consistency over a long period of use - the DW is one of the few designs where the detente/angle plate (the semi-circular metal piece) is detachable, adjustable and replaceable (in the event that it gets worn - and they all wear). Other designs I've worked with (including Hitachi, Metabo and my present Makita) have cast detents in an aluminium base which is more costly to replace when the saw starts to go sloppy due to wear (TBH more a trade issue than DIY). Not keen on the 10in Bosch, having tried one, but I was very impressed by the 12in GCM12GDL (I know, outside of your budget) - but the weight! I'd suggest that a 10in saw is a better bet than a 12in one on several grounds; 12in saws are heavier but generally appreciably larger than their 10in bretheren (and I'm getting old, so...), 12in saw frames are bigger and do flex more than the 10in equivalents (tried Makitas and deWalts in the past - side by side on one job in the case of the DWs), 12in blades cost more and 12in blades also suffer slightly more from wow and flutter (= vibration). Unless you absolutely need the capacity of a 12in saw (I rarely have in 20+ odd years of chop saw usage) then a 10in makes miore sense to me. So in my mind the DW717XPS 10in would be a good saw to go with (and is a front runner to replacxe my ageing Makita LS1013)

Thanks buddy, went for the DWS780 (just because i could). It is reported to have significantly better dust extraction, which actually for me is quite important.
It's actually a very slightly smaller footprint than the 717XPS, yet just under 2kg heavier.
Again, its being gifted to me in lieu of a favour (job) i did for someone, so i used the match budget allowed and added £20 of my own :)

UPDATE: thought about what you said and you're right, i'd never truly need a 12" saw. So i rang up FFX and changed it (just in time) for the 717XPS and a 80T blade. :)
Many thanks for your input.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back