Company keeping my card details.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, need some advice. I paid a company by putting my debit card details on their site and it was paid through Paypal, they took a payment out and should not but got that back.

Have asked them to remove my card and Paypal details from their records, they said they were unable to do that with no reason as to why. I don't know the law regarding this but I would have thought this was illegal.

Can anyone please advise, thanks for your time!

Sponsored Links
Does it matter?

If you don't trust them, how would you know they had deleted your details even they said they had.

If you are registered on line with them, can you not access your account and delete it or, at least, substitute the card with fictitious numbers?

They shouldn't hold on to them without your permission, and I don't think they have any right to under any circumstances. Unless they can prove unequivocally that their servers are invulnerable to a hack, then your details aren't safe. I think you'd report them to the financial services ombudsman. EFL makes a good point though.

Cancel your debit card and get a new one .......they can't get anything then !!!!

Sponsored Links
It is most likely that the company will not have your actual card details, but a tokenised version of it which is itself useless if stolen.
However, I understand that they may only keep this card on file *with* your permission. Moreover, they should indicate to the bank that they have obtained your consent to store the card token whenever payment is made.

Cancel your debit card and get a new one .......they can't get anything then !!!!

Not strictly true. Turns out I was paying my phone bill for three months with a cancelled card before I realised. Payment went through without issue.

They link the new card to the old one. But I think even if you got a new card from another provider, that you'd be protected, as it would still get processed through. Not sure if it's changed, but debit cards just used to be a payment processing system, and didn't actually check if there was any money in the account.

Not strictly true. Turns out I was paying my phone bill for three months with a cancelled card before I realised. Payment went through without issue.

Did you cancel your contract with the phone company though?

Money cannot be collected from someone with your cancelled card details ..fact.
New card new security number on it. Check with your bank.

They link the new card to the old one. But I think even if you got a new card from another provider, that you'd be protected, as it would still get processed through. Not sure if it's changed, but debit cards just used to be a payment processing system, and didn't actually check if there was any money in the account.
They can't do that new cards are not linked with old ones. New card new security no too.....can you imagine the scale of fraud if old cards were still valid in any way. When I've lost cards and stopped them all standing orders linked to it stopped and could not be processed.

Not sure if it's changed, but debit cards just used to be a payment processing system, and didn't actually check if there was any money in the account.
Debit cards deduct the money instantly from your account and pay the recipient.

It will not pay if you have insufficient funds.

Money cannot be collected from someone with your cancelled card details ..fact.
New card new security number on it. Check with your bank.

I guess the money just disappeared from my account and my bills magically got paid then eh. (y)

Sponsored Links
Back