COMPAP THERMOSTATIC RADIATOR VALVE QUESTION

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ruth wrote "Hello there,

I've just moved into a house, which has Comap thermostatic radiator valves.
The valves have a grey and a black plastic slides that pull out from the bottom of the knob. Could anybody tell me the purpose of these please?

I've had a look on the internet but no joy.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Ruth"

But what is the purpose of the grey plastic slide please? It is not removable and only extends outwards a short distance.

thanks
Neil

Sponsored Links
Two possibilities:

1. So you can remove the head from the metal body. Set the stat to Max, pull the levers out and then see if you can remove the head by pulling upwards. Water will not come out.

2. To be able to set a range of adjustment (to prevent someone turn the TRV too high/low). Pull the lever out and see if it can be moved round the body of the valve and then pushed in. One lever will set the minimum. the other the maximum.

If that doesn't work, can you post a pic of the valve with the levers out?

I think the darker grey levers are the ones for setting upper and lower temp limits as these slide out. However I have just tried doing this, moving a lever etc and the valve still turns fully as though nothing had happened.

It is the light grey plastic lever which only slides out about 1cm or so. Here are 2 pics of the light grey lever in and then out

You can remove the TRV head by unscrewing the knurled knob below the head (rotate so the top goes towards the wall). You may then be able to see what the black and grey levers do. If you still can't work it out, you local friendly plumbers merchant may be able to help.

PS The grey ones look like temperature range adjusters. Can't see the black ones in the pic.

Sponsored Links
The Comap instructions say the following

Retention pins
The thermostatic head can be locked using the two plastic retention pins supplied with it.

Limiting the setting range
In order to do this, the thermostatic head must be unscrewed from the lower part of the valve.

Limiting the highest setting
- set the index value wheel to the desired position,
- insert a retention pin into the opening in line with the "circular red" marking

Limiting the lowest setting
- insert a retention pin into the opening in line with the "circular blue" marking

Locking the setting
place the first retention pin into the opening in line with the <<circular red>> marking

- maintaining the set position, place the second retention pin into the opening in line with the <<circular blue>> marking

I have the same thermostactic head and somehow i've done something to it so that radiator cant be turned of, the thermostat can be turned all the way from blue to red but no matter what i do with it radiator is still on, really need help with this.

In case it's useful, I wasn't able to fully turn off my Comap thermostatic valve either. I realised if you turn it to full on, the min and max pins can be pulled down and drop out. With the pins out you can turn it all the way down to the blue zero and turn the radiator off. (I've got the same ones as the picture).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back