Compatable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This one falls somewhere betwene hard and software..so apologies if you feel its in the wrong bit..

Easy question...I have a new comp coming this week, Sata 2 connection...plenty of power etc enough RAM and a 500 gb hard drive

Now I dont need all that so I will probably keep it as a spare seeing as the OS is going to be preloaded.

I have another smaller 160gb SATA drive which is from my last computer it has loads of my work on it as well as windows XP..I cant access it using a USB caddy on here because this computer is IDE...I tried booting from the USB but it wouldnt have it...well..it did but I can only access a few files..the rest appears to be stuck because of a secrurity issue

Will I be able to take the new 500gb hard drive out and put the 160gb in without any problems?

I have sooooooooo much stuff on the 160gb I cant afford to lose it

Last resort...plugigng the 160gb into the new one via the caddy and retrieving the files that way

Both new and old hard drives are XP by the way

Any help/good news gratefully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
why dont you port it all over to the 500gb one? you'll be glad of the space later on

Thanks Tim..

I havn't considered that..mainly because I have also been concerned with being able to syncronise a heap of favourites in firefox that were left on the 160 drive and removed from the old comp before I ad the chance to sync them to the firefox server.

If I cant I cant...not the end of the world..the main thing is being able to get the files I have one there at the moment off...loads of music thats been ripped from vinyl and digitised.

Whan you say 'port in over' do you mean plugigng the 160 in via the caddy and copying it to the new drive?

Or whacking the 160 into the comp itself?

Whan you say 'port in over' do you mean plugigng the 160 in via the caddy and copying it to the new drive?

Or whacking the 160 into the comp itself?
You could do either and then transfer all the data you want across to the new drive freeing up the 160 to use as a portable or leave as a backup

Sponsored Links
Do you think they will all show up ok?..I cant see why not as its a SATA HD going into another..as opposed to when I was trying to view files from the 160gb on the older IDA drive one im currently using.

I hope thats what the problem was and the SATA in the new one 'either way, will be trouble free and compatable

FF Bookmark stuff... Unless you deleted them?? They should remain available for copying...From somewhere like
C:\Documents and Settings\pip\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\nrwv5koa.default in a file like this places.sqlite
All findable from here ...
http://mozilla.gunnars.net/firefox_bookmarks_tutorial.html

Best copy your files to the new drive... Otherwise you could be heading into murkey waters - murkier than normal :D

Would have been nice to have the 500GB HDD set up in two partitions.
Smaller one for C: with a larger secondary partition for data / backups etc
I am sure someone here could advise on a good size choice for C: probably depending upon OS... Great opportunity to 'image' system when all updates have been carried out... All clean and nice !
-p-

Use firefox's xmarks and all bookmarks are saved and available from any pc.

Thanks fox and everyone else..

The problem is if I cant get this new SATA going in the new computer I wont be able to syncronise all the ones to the FF server...I didnt have it on auto sync at the time and forgot to maually sync them from a couple of months.

Sponsored Links
Back