Complete novice - bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

I`m a first year uni student, just got back for Easter so I got a month off :) As a Easter project I though I would redecorate my room, hasn`t been done for so many years I`ve really out grown it.

Never decorated a room before so thought now would be a good time to learn. Could get my Dad to help i guess but hes got loads of other things on and i cant be bothered to wait.

I`ve uploaded some pics so it`s easier for you to see what I mean. Click on the pics for larger images

Basically, I just want to paint my room one colour, at the moment it`s two, but separated by this awful rail.

So, I`ve removed a couple of pieces to see what`s behind. I remember the walls being wallpapered at a time, but it looks like the rail wasn`t removed when the wallpaper was ripped off so it`s made the wall not smooth.

I started to remove the paint as it`s just peeling off really easily...

I`m not sure if there is still paper there or I`m just peeling off paint, I think its paint as it`s quite easy to peel off

Also, there has always been a problem in this room with the walls having a weird cloudy look to them after some time, like when furniture is moved away from the wall, or posters are removed, anybody know what this is and how I can prevent it from happening when I paint the new colour?

Wiping it off seems to solve the problem, but then it just comes back.

So how can I make the wall smooth between the paint which seems to just peel off and the paper that was left behind? I think I have got a big job to do here :)

Thanks for you help,

Matt

[Edit: The forum doesnt accept ', replaced with `, ok now it is nevermind, was changing it to ’ before]

Sponsored Links
take all the dado rail off then the paper then get any loose flaky paint off dont go mad just get the loose off then sand the area down dust it off and use interior filler to dub the patch out where the paper was once dry lightly sand it down till its flat as a pancake with the wall and there u shoudl have it ;)

take all the dado rail off then the paper then get any loose flaky paint off dont go mad just get the loose off then sand the area down dust it off and use interior filler to dub the patch out where the paper was once dry lightly sand it down till its flat as a pancake with the wall and there u shoudl have it ;)

Thing is though it aint flaky it just peels off, or am i forcing it too much?

Any idea about the cloudy marks?

Cheers for the advice :)

Sponsored Links

Thing is though it aint flaky it just peels off, or am i forcing it too much?

Any idea about the cloudy marks?

Cheers for the advice :)

you could be forxcing it to much once you get to a slid edge stop then use the filler to seal that edge to stop it going anymore i think the cloudy patches could be something reacting with the emulsion such as niccotine or something before you emulsion id use a oil based under coat on the cloudy areas then once you emulsion that cloudyness shouldnt grin thro if it does its something worth worrying about ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back