Complete novice - central heating problem (back boiler)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I'm writing in desperation because I live rurally and have been unable to get any help.
Our central heating & hot water is controlled via a back boiler (Charnwood multifuel stove.) On Friday night there was one heck of a banging from the pipes in the attic (it sounded as if something was going to explode), the only radiator that we have on at this time of year became cold and the water started boiling and spewed out of the smaller of the two tanks in the attic, causing flooding in the room below.
24 hour services have no cover in this area. Local plumber tells us that the problem needs an electrician. Electrician says the problem needs a heating engineer and the only heating engineer who deals with solid fuel systems is unavailable for at least a week.
Suggestions please.

Thank you
Morag

Sponsored Links
I doubt that its anything that you can do yourself. Sounds like a blockage in the pipes.

Perhaps you have not had it serviced/inspected during the summer?

This is the most busy time for us as the weather is getting colder and customers have suddenly remembered that their boiler was not working during the summer but chose to wait until it gets colder before they call us.

I suggest you use the electric imersion for hot water and use an electric fan heater until the heating engineer can come.

If you posted your location with some detail, not just "Yorkshire" which is a huge county, then its possible someone here knows an engineer who can attend.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Our central heating & hot water is controlled by a Charnwood multifuel stove with integrated back boiler. The pipe thermostat is a Danfoss 04IE0000 and the pump is a Grundfos selectric 240v, 50 Hz, UPS 15-50.
The system is in use all year round - central heating & water in the winter and water only & one radiator on low (to stop the pump overworking). The stove itself is checked every year and the central heating system itself has never given any problems until now.

Obviously, everything is currently switched off.

Oh, we live outside Brechin, Angus

Thanks
Morag

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back