complete novice needs advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm attempting to sort out an old fire place. Im intending to tile the outer fire place (where it hasn't been plastered), leave the inner painted brick with something decorative in (vase/flowers/art etc. And intending to tile the hearth. Have dug out some old un-level concrete and tiles and am left with what you see in the picture.

I could do with some step by step advice please. Think I'm ok with the tiling the front/replacing the skirting etc. But need help with the hearth. currently it is just dirt and rubble that I have levelled (ish ) off. DO i just mix cement and lay it ontop of the dirt, level it, let it dry and then fix the tiles to that? DO i just level it with a traditional spirit level?

Any other tips/advice/ideas?

Many thanks in advance
Sam

Sponsored Links
Clean as much of the dirt and loose debris out as you can, give a sweep with dust pan and brush too.
Then build up timber form work (frame) for your hearth giving the dimension you wish and making sure the timbers are somewhere near level.
Damp down the area underneath to prevent too much suction.
Then pour a wet cast mix of concrete in to the form work.
Tamper down and should it find it's own level, remove any excess, leave to stiffen up, then trowel out any imperfection.
Let it set then remove form work.

Are you re-instating an open fire or installing a stove in there? If so, you can’t just lay some concrete down on top, Building Regs require a constructional hearth, size & thickness can be found here;
http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove-hearth-size.html

You should be aware that re-commissioning/rebuilding an open fire or installing a stove is notifyable building work & subject to several Building Regulations. Bear in mind that you could invalidate your house insurance if you cannot produce compliance certification in the event of a problem.

Also be aware that neither Gypsum base or finish plasters won’t stand continual exposure to more than 50 degrees, it will crack & fall off.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Couple of points - the dirt/loose debris goes down all the way into the floor cavity (i think) I've dug down a far old bit just to see.

With regards to the hearth - I don't want it raised - just level with the floor boards. Are your instructions to (the form work) to raise it up? Or have I misunderstood? In my head you mean build a frame work (like a cast) and fill it with cement? Is that right - if so what do I do If I want it floorboard level?

thanks again mate

Sam
Richard - no not fitting a fire - just tidying up an old fireplace that was hidden behind a sofa - moving furniture so want it to look half decent - goinb gto put art work in hte hole...

Sponsored Links
My instruction was with intention of raising the level up by at least 50mm, so it can be tiled and you could still use it as a function hearth if you decided to install a fire.
But you still need a good sound surface to tile to, approx how deep is it at present?
The problem is with a thin slab or screed they often don't bond that well.

Hi,

currently approx 2cm below floorboard level - was thinking I could remove some dirt - enough to add cement and then tile adhesive and tile to bring me upto floor level?

How deep would you suggest the cement should be?

definitley no fire going to be installed at later date

sam

You need to consider, what your finished floor level is going to be, what are you going to put down on the rest of the floor?
And what depth of tile are you going to use?
You wont be using just a cement, it will be a mixture of aggregates plus the cement and water.
The depth of cement;
If it was me, I would want to get as close to 75mm as I could, but it could be do able at 50mm.

ok,

should be able to dig down 75mm. Re cememt - i was going to get premixed rapid set cement - from wickes.

Would that kind of thing be ok?

Thanks for your advice

ok,

should be able to dig down 75mm. Re cememt - i was going to get premixed rapid set cement - from wickes.

Would that kind of thing be ok?

Thanks for your advice
I would not use rapid set mortars or cement, they generally used for repairs.
A good all in ballast would be more suitable or a mixture of
1 cement
2 sharp sand
3 20mm aggregate
In good dry environment it should be okay to lay on to the following day, I would give it a little longer if possible to let all the moisture in the mix hydrate.

ok

last question. IF I use an all in ballast - what are the proportions?

shovel of cement
how many of ballast?

cheers

5 Ballast
1 Cement
should do the job.
But it may vary between manufacturers, if you get in bagged there should be some guidance/instruction on it which I would advise you follow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back