Really need advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,first of all this is my first post so please bare with me,basically I'm ripping out our old bathroom and hopefully putting a new one in,I've started to chip off the old tiles around the window frame I have a new upvc to replace old wooden one now problem is taking off tiles has caused everything behind the tile to come off with it so I'm down to bare brick,this place is an old victorian house and all the walls are very crumbly and porous,can anyone advise me is it possible to to tile new tile on top of bonding or a sand and cement mix?,rather than plaster board. I have a basic skill level,so I'm not professional by any means,but willing to do things right,I do have a plasterer coming to sort the ceiling for me but just wanted to save a few pounds.
I can get pics if need be
Thanks in advance lee

Sponsored Links
Bonding....NO

S/c...yes but it will need to cure/dry first...

Look into a quickset render..ardex a45/bal/mapei....how big/depth an area is it?

What type/size off tiles are you fixing..

You can patch with plasterboard or cement backer board...

Post some pics lee...

just thinking if i was to use cement backing board how would you fix it to brick work?
would it need rawl plugging?

Sponsored Links
Looking a little beyond your immediate problem with the window reveal; if you’re re-tiling the whole bathroom, you need to decide what size/weight/type of tiles you want BEFORE doing any prep work as it’s the tiles that will determine what sort of base you need. Don’t start re-plastering everything you’re going to tile, it’s unnecessary, a waste of time & money & you won’t be doing yourself any favours if you want large format tiles. You also need to determine the condition of what’s going to be left covering the walls, if the existing plaster/render is in poor condition or is delaminating, it will usually all have to come off or at least be over boarded.

You say the house is Victorian, do you have cavity or solid brick external walls? If solid, how many walls in the room are involved? Solid brick walls can be prone to damp & you need to be very careful how you prep & what materials you use if you want to avoid problems or whatever you put up there may fall off again; in some cases you will need to provide a moisture barrier or even insulate.

There are many things that can catch you out when tiling/re-tiling walls, you need to consider tile weights, prep & materials & suspended timber floors need special consideration. I would advise you read the Tiling Sticky & Forum Archive posts before doing any work or buying materials, it could prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes. It’s also important to use only quality trade tilling materials of the correct type for your tiles & tile base; cheapo own brand & DIY stuff is mostly crap.

Are you aware that replacing a window is controlled building work & is notifyable unless you use a FENSA installer? You will need compliance certification for the new window.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back