Complex LED Light Job

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Given that would below be closer the mark with the 4 strips feeding off the same output connectors?
There still seems so be some uncertainty about how much power/current would be involved and, unfortunately, it's crucial that that is clarified before you can start thinking about suitable power supplies.

Kind Regards, John

Most LED bulbs kick out around 70 lumen per watt, good quality can go up to 100 lumen per watt for example the replacement for fluorescent tubes. But LED strips can go down to 10 lumen per watt, they are not designed to light a room, but to look good, they are a decoration not a light. Not all are like that, you can get good ones, but blue, red, and yellow LED's all have different threshold voltages, so to get colour changing then they would need to be powered by a constant current driver not a constant voltage power supply.

Lighting has never been easy, the idea of working out how many lumen is required for the room then getting lamps with that output does not work, it depends on the spread as well as lumen common method is to use some white plastic to defuse the light and increase the spread, my living room has bulbs facing up so they reflect off the ceiling 10 x 2W and room is quite bright, however son has 7W GU10 lamps x 6 in a smaller room and it looks dim in comparison, much of the light is absorbed by the floor.

The huge difference between LED and tungsten is the heat given off, with tungsten bulbs the ceiling above the bulb became yellowed as the dust circulated by the bulb settled on the ceiling, with LED the ceiling stays white, with a strip of resistors which are often used to make current dependent LED chips voltage dependent the heat from those resistors can cause problems, be it turning the sticky yellow, attracting dust, or causing the strips to fall off.

I like decorative lighting, it does look good, but be aware it is just decorative and one should also install so real lights at the same time.

Sponsored Links
I believe the 5050's are tri-led chips so should be able to produce millions of colours.

many thanks for all your suggestions.

Im still a little unsure about power but by all accounts im aiming for circa 60w to supply 4x 5m strips? (dependant on strip power rating)
If anyone can provide any good link to buys on amazon/ebay that would be great as a guide.

many thanks again.

The sellers on amazon/eBay are pretty much all pushing the same generic stuff. So just do a search and find the right package you want to go for and I suggest ordering 1 x 5m kit and then you can test the quality, power etc... and decide if its suitable and then order more afterwards. I have had faulty controllers from some sellers so its a bit hit/miss. Once you have 1 5m strip you will then be able to do some calculations on what your power requirements are.

LED strips and supplies and controls are pretty much a textbook example of the wisdom of buying from proper UK business, actually in, registered and operating in the UK with a real physical presence, and not buying on eBay or Amazon from some random person in China because his stuff looks the same and is as cheap-as-chips.

LED strips and supplies and controls are pretty much a textbook example of the wisdom of buying from proper UK business, actually in, registered and operating in the UK with a real physical presence, and not buying on eBay or Amazon from some random person in China because his stuff looks the same and is as cheap-as-chips.

nice one Confucius...
#soapbox

when i asked for help or guidance wasnt really looking for a lib dem rally thanks

lmao

I'm not really sure what was going on inside your head when you wrote that, but whatever it was it didn't qualify as intelligent, rational thought processes.

"lib dem" (sic) rally? I would ask what you think a political party has to do with the quality of cheap Chinese electrical goods, but I doubt there would be any point.

Go and buy some cheap, dangerous tat from China then - maybe a failure or a fire might stop you laughing.

I'm not really sure what was going on inside your head when you wrote that, but whatever it was it didn't qualify as intelligent, rational thought processes.

"lib dem" (sic) rally? I would ask what you think a political party has to do with the quality of cheap Chinese electrical goods, but I doubt there would be any point.

Go and buy some cheap, dangerous tat from China then - maybe a failure or a fire might stop you laughing.

Hi.
Just looking for some help with LEDs which, if youll review most of the posts, most people on here have been kind enough to do.
Could I please ask you not to hijack this thread as its been very helpful and may turn out to be helpful to others in the future.
Good luck.

I was giving help and guidance, with which a lot of people here would agree, to avoid the cheap-as-chips tat sold by people in China, and to stick with products sold by UK entities who are subject to UK laws on safety etc.

Too much of the stuff sold by Chinese entities on eBay and Amazon is unsafe, has fake standards compliance markings and so on.

You are of course free to disregard that advice and to put you and your family at risk to save a few quid - it is entirely your choice. But if you start writing nonsense about "lib dem" rallies and laughing to my face when what I was doing was something that might just save your life, don't expect me to give you an easy time of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back