Composite decking repairs..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Looking at some composite decking today that needs fixing, obviously as you can see from the pictures I'm guessing completely wrong type of screws used they are sitting proud and have rusted

Any recommendations on what screws I should use if my guess at replacing the screws would be the best plan of action.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210407_175449.jpg
    IMG_20210407_175449.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20210407_175418.jpg
    IMG_20210407_175418.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 119
Sponsored Links
They are countersunk screws and should have a countersunk drilled

You can do that while replacing them.

Stainless screws should have a pilot hole as they are mostly chinese and poor quality steel.

They are countersunk screws and should have a countersunk drilled

You can do that while replacing them.

Stainless screws should have a pilot hole as they are mostly chinese and poor quality steel.

Haven't done any countersinking outside of metal using a set cutter what would it entail on composite, drilling a bigger hole just enough depth to let the head sit flush?

Sponsored Links
you can do it with a bigger drill if necessary, it is hard to get the right depth.

you can buy a countersinker bit, it goes in an electric drill. Like a small, short bit, often with a pointed conical head like a christmas tree, sometimes with a single cutting edge.

the conical ones will cutter a bigger and deeper hole the longer you press.

you want a hole slightly less deep than the head, because the screw-head will press itself into the timber and sink slightly. Do a few, and you will find that "a count of three" is enough. Or some other number. That's how I do it, anyway. if the head is sticking out like in you pic, it may catch in shoes, or cause nasty injury in a barefoot person or animal, or crawling child.

You can also buy screws with a sort of cutting edge so they countersink themselves.

ae235
ae235

you often get one or more included if you buy a kit of drill bits. When it goes blunt, and the timber smokes, buy a new one.

I should think your screws have a head with diameter around 9mm, so that would be a suitable size.

you can also buy a more sophisticated type, with a drill and countersink combined into one, but it will only do one size of screw.

You can make the countersink and use the screw head as the guide to the size required. Just reverse the screw and hold the head against the countersunk hole, keep boring until the head just fits the countersink. As JohnD said you’ll soon get the hang of it and be able to judge it. I don't think you will need to go very deep at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back