Composite decking.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm looking to put some composite decking down and was wondering if any installers on here can recommmed any do/donts on what type/brand to use.
The decking will be going down on a timber frame (pic attached)

Sponsored Links
Pic attached

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230614-125002_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230614-125002_Gallery.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 59
My experience of decking is largely limited to the stuff we used at home.

We had a (pretty expensive) solid core decking.

It has a slot to accept the fittings that hold it down.

Shortly after fitting it (we went for a red brown, cedar type finish), I noticed that it had developed a very, very slightly mottled finish- not a biggie.

The stuff is really hard to cut though. I purchased a chop saw capable of cutting up to 315mm for the diagonal cuts on the outer (single groove) strips. The stuff has so much resin in it that it punishes the blade.

The decking won't rot, but at the end of lengths, I have noticed that it can warp upwards- the single fitting screw in to the softwood timber frame that holds down both boards simultaneously doesn't cut the mustard in softwood timber over the years. BTW the screws are semi proprietary (square head) . They provide a square head screwdriver bit. I guess that I need to replace them with longer screws of a similar diameter, but that is pretty low on my "must do radar".

As I said my experience is limited.

I have a customer in Barnes that has a (reinforced) hollow core decking. It is in front of the entry to their "summer house". I has splits along the length of it. The lengths are only about 2m and to be fair, there has been a transition of mud under it over the last few years.

I cannot ever see my Trex splitting, but composite is not as hassle free as the manufacturers would have you believe.

Sorry, that probably isn't what you want to read, but my lay advice is to find a brand and then drill down on reviews for the product.

Hi I'm looking to put some composite decking down and was wondering if any installers on here can recommmed any do/donts on what type/brand to use.
The decking will be going down on a timber frame (pic attached)
Thomo - what did you do in the end?

Sponsored Links
Mine split and warped after 18 months and it also discoloured. I didn't buy the expensive stuff though it was hollow.

According to these peeps there's nothing intrinsically wrong with hollow boards and in fact they're usually better

Having just looked at the link... with respect, I interpreted it differently to you.

They are critical of hollow boards that have square profile hollows. They assert that round and honeycomb profiles are much stronger than square ones. They say that hollow boards are less likely to warp than "some" solid boards.

They do go on to say that solid will allow a greater span between supporting joists.

They are critical of hollow boards that have square profile hollows. They assert that round and honeycomb profiles are much stronger than square ones. They say that hollow boards are less likely to warp than "some" solid boards.
So, "nothing intrinsically wrong" with hollow ones

They do go on to say that solid will allow a greater span between supporting joists.
And that it's unusual for a solid board to be needed, therefore given the cost difference, hollow ones are "usually better".

According to them, it depends on the hollow profile shape.

Apropos solid boards, I don't think that they sell solid boards, but I am not sure. Their definition of better, may be nothing more than "better" because although solid is structurally superior, hollow is cheaper.

I don't have a dog in this "fight". I fitted solid boards on our decking frame (replacing the original timber boards). I like the fact that the green gundge doesn't soak in but as a product it is far from perfect and, in my opinion, was oversold. On reflection, yes, in many respects it is superior to the old timber decking that we previously had. But is is wayyy more expensive and required proprietary fittings.

Well, "better" was my verdict - if you don't need the strength of solid boards, then the lower price of hollow ones makes them "better" in my book.

But anyway

But is is wayyy more expensive and required proprietary fittings.

The price surprised me, when I started looking into it.

I (Naively? Stupidly?) thought "it's plastic & sawdust - gotta be cheaper than the real thing".

Ha ha.

You can get hardwood for the same sort of price that some people want for composite, and "thermowood" for a lot less. Haven't looked much into bamboo yet.

But are the fixings any more expensive than "normal" concealed ones?

I guess that it is the resins that bond the sawdust together that bumps up the price.

I have worked in a number of properties with cedar decking, after a couple of years it goes grey/silver and requires sanding back and re-oiling.

I haven't seen bamboo decking, and hence cannot comment on it.

With regards to the cost of concealed fittings, I don't know what the gong rate is for other brands. They are chuffing expensive though. From memory, and my memory may well be faulty... we purchased 5 boxes of fittings for a 5 by 3.5m decking. 4 boxes would have sufficed but, again, from memory, those boxes were in excess of £160 in 2017.

I have worked in a number of properties with cedar decking, after a couple of years it goes grey/silver and requires sanding back and re-oiling.
No you can just leave it weathered, you don't have to make a rod for your own back....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back