Composite door hinge movement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have noticed 1 - 2mm of movement in the top hinge of my composite door.
This is causing the door to 'catch' at the top edge.

See photo of position of movements.
The middle of the 3 metalic pins moves to the right. So the nut you can just see is moving further into the cashing inline with the 2 grub screws top & bottom.

I have noticed the top grub screw is missing so i will replace this although cannot see any movement through the grub screw hole so do not think it is contributing to the movement.

Any ideas how i can resolve this issue?

Many thanks

Attachments

• Hinge.jpg
    Hinge.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 30
Sponsored Links
Have you tried adjusting using the visible nut? ( or if room , prise the cover off and use and Allen key slot ), or is it moving on its own so to speak , so as you open and close the door it's ' slipping 'on the thread?

Hi Ronniecabers.

Thanks for your reply.
I have adjusted the nut to its maximum adjustment. The door still catches by the 1-2mm.
Sorry i don't know what you meant by "prise the cover off and use and Allen key slot" - can you clarify?

The hinge moves on its own.
I have taken a clearer photo.
I can lift the door and the nut moves into the housing by 1 - 2mm.
The top and bottom pins move into the door.

It appears i have one of these types of hinges, https://www.ukdoorlocks.co.uk/product/sfs-composite-door-hinge-sfscomp/
They don;t even look replaceable :(

Attachments

• Hinge 1.jpg
    Hinge 1.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 22
  • SFS door hinge.jpg
    SFS door hinge.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 22
Sponsored Links
There is a cover on the hinge centre that shows an Allen key hole , in line with the nut BUT if its moving on its own then the thread is pulling the through the upvc and has damaged it. You may get lucky and find adjusting the bottom hinge the other way might help but ultimately the thread is now damaged within the pvc ( it normally only threads into the pvc and unfortunately these hinges are notorious for doing this).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back