composite door hinge pin worn

18 Aug 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
My composite front door which is about 10 years old has been sticking a bit recently. When I rock the door I can see a little play in the top hinge, it appears to me that the Pin is worn.
It looks straightforward to change, there are plastic caps on top and bottom, a couple of socket (allen) grub screws that look to be holding it in place. Do I just slacken these screws and knock the pin out with a punch having chocked the door in position?
Secondly, where do I get these new pins from. B&Q/screwfix? I've had a quick look online with no success. There are a couple of door and window manufacturers in our area. Would they be receptive to me (non trade) turning up and asking for new pins?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Any chance of a pic?

Chances are the Allen screws are adjusters to move the door left to right and up or down

So try adjusting it first before buying a new hinge
Thanks for the response. See the attached photos. When I take the plastic caps off I can see the end of the pin which appears to have flats on it rather than being circular. Any idea of the manufacturer?

hinge 1.jpg hinge 2.jpg
Sponsored Links
No problem

Try adjusting it first before splashing out on a new one

Don't forget if you buy a new one that will also need adjusting to suit your door

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local