UPVC door hinge pin removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to take my back door off to fit the last piece of laminate floor but I don't know how to remove the hinge pin. Looking on youtube etc shows removing the security grub screw and prising the pin out of the top with a small screwdriver. this pin has an allen head which on turning has a cam effect on the hinge.
Could someone please tell me how to remove it.

Hinge 1.jpg
Hinge 2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Its called a butthinge but there are lots of makes that are all slightly different.
If you keep turning the bolts anti clockwise they may come out. It is likely just an oval shape at the top for additional adjustment

Brenda, I have an identical hinge - I can't get the pin out either. Hitting from the bottom and rotating anti- clockwise don't work. How did you remove yours?

Thanks
Matt

The hinges were wrecked in removal unfortunately. The bottom hinge section has a top hat that prevents the hinge pin from being tapped up from the bottom. I screwed the 5mm hex bolt in fully from the bottom - this raises the hinge pin to the point it can be grabbed or levered up from the top. In levering it up I wrecked the top hinge section, maybe needle nose pliers could do it neater. Anyway the hinges required replacement so I wasnt that bothered.

Sponsored Links
Hi Brenda , do you still have the old hinges by any chance? - We have a front door with identical hinges and are missing a hinge pin. We cannot identify the make of hinge, so wondered if you had the old hinges, happy to pay for a hinge pin!

I need to take my back door off to fit the last piece of laminate floor but I don't know how to remove the hinge pin. Looking on youtube etc shows removing the security grub screw and prising the pin out of the top with a small screwdriver. this pin has an allen head which on turning has a cam effect on the hinge.
Could someone please tell me how to remove it.

View attachment 141855 View attachment 141856
Can I ask why your profile picture is a photo of Wendy Criag?

If you are not going to be honest I am not going to try and help you.

The rebates are different for each manufacturer, each profile section so my suggestion is just to use the hinge pins

Oh come on; show me the rule that says profile pictures must be of the poster?

You helped securespark with their email and they're definitely not a donkey ;)

Can I ask why your profile picture is a photo of Wendy Criag?

That post is six years old - I suspect she's got it sorted by now.

That post is six years old - I suspect she's got it sorted by now.
Yeah, fair play. I hadn't noticed the original date, neverthless, when it is obvious that someone has appropriated a photo of someone else, I am inclined to wonder why.

I have recently seen a number of posts that look very AI, not very good AI, but AI regardless

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back