Composite door pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently fitted a composite front door replacing an old UPVC door. When my house was built, it had an open porch design, meaning my second internal door is actually where the front door would have been. The new composite external door opens and closes perfectly when the inner door is open, but with the internal door closed, the outside composite door is stiff to open and close due to the air pressure.

Presumably some kind of vent is required near the internal door. For ideas on what sort of vent or ventilation system I could fit to make opening the front door easier. My main concern is loss of heat through the vent as the vestibule area between the two doors is not heated and I worry about heat escaping from my hallway.

I'm imagining some sort of air brick with a spring loaded flap which only opens under pressure (as created when the front door opens).
I'm not sure what such a product would be called in order to look for one.
Would a standard air brick at low level be better? Am I right to be concerned about loss of heat?

Just looking for some ideas if anyone has solved a similar issue.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Take the seals off the letterbox? In principle you want an Air Admittance Valve, as you would fit at the head of a drainage system though not sure such a thing exists that doesn't look like it's part of the drainage system.

But really, how hard is it to open the door?

Like hurts your fingers hard to open if the internal door is closed! It's only got a thumb turn lock tumbler to grip which doesn't help. I've thought about putting a pull knob on the inside which would help. It's been left open a couple of times (luckily we've been in the house) because you really have to press it family to close it. With the internal door open you can just throw it closed really easily.

Got the same problem here. Had a new composite fitted to the front and you can feel the air pressure change when you open/close it.
Because we have the type of handle that you have to lift up to lock the door, we have something to grab. If you do put a handle on you will have to make sure it is screwed into a solid part of the door, and not an air gap area.
There is an airbrick vent that you can open/close a grill on it. Maybe half opening the sliding grill will be enough to allow the door to close/open without losing too much heat.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, probably. I've been reluctant to start drilling holes it though. It isn't really solving the problem. I want to be able to just easily push it closed.

I'm guessing the porch has windows? If so, open the trickle vents? Or have trickle vents fitted? Or if you have a suspended timber floor, put a floor vent in? Or in the ceiling if there's a void above it?

Principle being that you are not breaching the heating envelope of the house more than it already is.

It used to be an open porch when the house was built in the 50's but every house in the road now had out outer door fitted. The porch door would have been the front door originally. It was a top light and fan lights to the side but they're not openable. I will look into tricks vents.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back