Frames with Composite Doors (what material?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When a composite front door is installed, usualy is the doorframe uPVC or is the frame composite also?

Sponsored Links
Always PVC. I have never seen a composite frame.

Also if you go for matching color frame and slab get it in writing that the colors will match 100% for the duration of the guarantee (I have yet to find anyone willing to do this).

I always advise customers to go for a contrasting color frame.

Oh, that's interesting.

So if I were to opt for one of the quite nice looking composite doors with their authentic looking woodgrain, the frame itself will just be uPVC and so without the authentic looking woodgrain effect.

And, as inferred above, if the door is one particular brand, the frame will be something else i.e. Rehau, Veka, Spectus etc...

So it's almost certain the frame won't perfectly match the door colour. I do prefer the door colour matching the frame colour, but if they're not essentially the same product then I can see why you recommend contrasting colours Gazman16.

Why don't the manufacturers of expensive composite doors also make matching composite frames? It seems like an obvious thing to do.

Sponsored Links
The PVC frames have the usual wood grain effect foils of PVC windows.

Some company's will use the frame manufacturers standard colors (these never match the door slab) others will actually have the frame sprayed to the same RAL color of the slab but as they are 2 different materials (PVC & GRP) they reflect light differently which can make them look different colors.

Also the 2 materials may color fade at different rates making the match worse as time goes on.

If you look around at old doors the frames are usually glossed white and the slab is colored so having a white frame still looks good. Depending on the slab color a wood effect or black frame can look good too.

If you look around at old doors the frames are usually glossed white and the slab is colored so having a white frame still looks good.

So that explains what I have observed in recent years of, what I thought was just fashion, of having white frames with coloured front doors!

When I get home I'll post a picture of a faded rosewood door in a rosewood PVC frame, 4 years old and they started off the same colour

You can get ash white PVC outer frame, this is just a white foil to give the grain effect but without the colour, you can also get ash black

You can get ash white PVC outer frame, this is just a white foil to give the grain effect but without the colour, you can also get ash black

I'd be wary of the black....all Black outer frames for comp doors we have had have actually been a very very dark Brown....only noticeable in direct sunlight, but we have always forewarned our customers. As others have said even the rosewood and golden oak slabs probably won't match the pvc outer frame, a lot of the rosewood/golden oak slabs are spray or even hand painted!

Is there any comeback from supplier if they didn’t tell us the colour wouldn’t match??
They are stonewalling us saying that they are both black, but the frame is clearly a petrol black
C1C7D02B-C5F2-45F4-83FB-37B10FBE3869.jpeg
colour

Could do with a picture from further away. As has already been said on this post, most upvc frames are actually ' beck brown ' rather than black. Personally I consider it foolish for any supplier to not mention it to the customer , hence I'm always very up front about it . Technically i suppose you could argue its been mis sold as the frame is a different shade BUT I suspect you won't get far

EF5FFD94-0F62-40F6-ADC0-10617E3D5EF4.jpeg

Attachments

• 327899E8-5F52-4C8D-A3E7-ED621778972F.jpeg
    327899E8-5F52-4C8D-A3E7-ED621778972F.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 40
I was thinking of that approach of being mis sold the door and frame. Would it be industry standard to inform the customer that the same colour might not match on different materials??

Personally I would always say, saves any misunderstanding. I can't speak for others though so can't say whether it would be

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back