Composite door - wood or foam core ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to get a composite door to replace an old door on my house, but I'm receiving conflicting advice. Some people are telling me that composite doors with a foam core are better, others are telling me to go with a composite door with a wood core.

Any advice from the professionals would be appreciated before I shell out getting my door replaced !!

Many thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Probably because the fitters on here haven't fitted many or haven't got an opinion.

I've only fitted a few in my time, in the early days they were steel faced and mainly found on new builds and usually 'IG Doors' but nowadays they seem to be more GRP, with these i've only ever fitted solid core ones because recently i've been working for insurance companies.

Try Rocal in Brigg seeing as your in yorkshire, solid plywood core, a decent MPL and they use Rehau outer frames too, fitted a handful just recently and found the quality pretty good, price wise i don't know how competetive they are as i don't pay ;)

Hi,

Many thanks for the information - does this mean, since you recommend Rocal doors, that you think a solid plywood core is better than a foam core ?

Reasons I've heard for foam over plywood is that temperature affects plywood as it expands and contracts and will eventually delaminate, whereas foam won't. Again, not sure if this is right, just what I've heard . . .

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Well generally i think we all prefer something solid compared to something thats foam filled. As for the de-lamination on solid core dorrs then i really can't comment as i've never come accross the problem, what i'd be more worried about is whether the sun would fade the colour :confused: , we've all seen red cars with pink bonnets, roofs and boot lids :D , just recently i've been reporting to various insurance companies on sun bleached doors (woodgrain mainly) so make sure your installer specifcally covers sun damage as well as checking the 10 year guarantee does too, i know Home-Pro and QANW don't :cry:

I had the composite door company (CDC - http://www.compositedoorcompany.com/) around on Monday night.

Anyone had any experience with them ? They quoted me 1200 quid to supply and install a 2-glass panel black composite door - seemed a bit on the pricey side to me ?

Thanks,
Chris

Composite doors aren't cheap but that is a lot, shop around, play each company off against the other, if they want your business in these hard times then you'll get a deal. Just make sure though when getting quotes your quotes are apples for apples, ie make sure locking mechanisms are comparable, you ideally want at least 2 hooks, 4 is better though, shoot bolts are good to have also, anti-snap and anti-bump euro cylinders are nice to see nowadays too

I'd also check with your home insurance co and ask for a copy of their "minimum security requirements" leaflet. You may be able to download it from their website. I have solid wooden doors so use BS locks, but there is a paragraph about multi-point locks as fitted by the door manufacturer as well.

p.s. you might like to see what sort of panelled hardwood door you can get for half that price.

about 6 months ago i bought a grp composite, seems like a really strong door. not too bulky or heavy. i would have a look at one these, im told they are pretty secure alot better than my pvc anyway...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back